UPDATED: Aug 24, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Young male drivers are known to be the number one cause of car accidents in the United States. Because of this, they see the highest car insurance rates out of any gender and age group. Consequently, if you are a young man living in the United States, you may find it very difficult to find auto insurance that is affordable. Fortunately, we have a few tips for you below that will get you well on the way to finding cheap insurance premiums for young men.
Why Do Men Pay More?
In nearly every state in the country, men see higher car insurance rates than women. This is due to the fact that women are generally safer drivers than men. They are more attentive on the road, drive slower, and are less reckless. They are less likely to get serious driving infractions and also less likely to be involved in fatal accidents. They also are less likely to drive expensive, fast cars that are more expensive to insure. Last but not least, women drive less than men, which puts them at an even lower risk of getting into an accident.
To throw even more gas on the fire, young people are also another high risk group. Young drivers are generally less experienced on the road and are easily distracted. With distractions coming in the form of misbehaving friends in the car, texting and driving, loud music, and talking on their cellphones, young drivers are much more likely to get into accidents than their older, more mature counterparts. Because of this, insurance companies lump young drivers into the group of drivers that pays the most for auto insurance.
As you can see, being both young and male are two strikes that are hard to come back from. Luckily, for young men, despite their shortcomings, there still are some methods of procuring cheap auto insurance rates. Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates. Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
How To Find Cheap Auto Insurance Rates As A Young Man
There are a number of ways young men can save on auto insurance. Let’s take a look at some of them now:
- If you get good grades in school, you’ll be able to let your insurance agent know about them and get discounts. Most insurance companies will give you a discount of up to 20% if you have a GPA of over 3.0.
- If you buy a safe, reliable, yet not too expensive vehicle, you should be able to take advantage of lower insurance rates. Remember that a large part of your insurance premiums are determined by the vehicle you drive. Generally speaking, the cheaper your car is to insure, the cheaper your insurance rates will be.
- If you buy your car insurance from the same company as your parents, you will be able to save at least 10% on your overall rates. By getting on the same policy as them, you will be able to lock yourself into a family plan, which cuts back on insurance costs greatly.
- If you drive your car less frequently than the average youngster, you can also expect to pay less for insurance. The less time spent on the road, the less likely you are to get into an accident. This means that you should opt to take public transportation, walk, or ride your ride as often as possible. Take advantage of those low mileage discounts!
- If you take a driving safety class and let your insurer know about it, you also might be eligible for insurance savings. Insurance companies like to know that you are well versed on the rules of the road, so they often offer rate cuts to people who take the initiative of enrolling in a safe driving class.
How NOT To Get Cheap Auto Insurance
Being young and a male, you already have two strikes against you in the eyes of most insurance companies. You do not want to do anything stupid to prove their suspicions that you are not to be trusted behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. Therefore, you have to be extra careful on the road. Be that responsible driver that insurance companies want to insure.
If you get multiple speeding tickets or other driving infractions, you will see your insurance rates increase to near unaffordable levels. If you are at fault in a car accident, you can also expect your car insurance premium to go up higher and higher.
If you get caught drinking and driving and get a DUI/DWI or another serious citation, you can expect your rates to double. If you are drunk driving and actually cause an accident, you can expect your rates to at least triple. Your insurance rates will stay sky-high for at least 4 or 5 years after a driving under the influence citation.
As a young man, you will be placed under a microscope by the insurance companies until you are at least 25 years old. During this time, it’s crucial that you do not make any mistakes, because you will pay for them dearly. The choices you make, from the car you drive, to whether or not you drink and drive, will all play a huge role in determining your auto insurance rates.
Be smart when it comes to driving, and eventually, the insurance companies will reward you with insurance rates your bank account will thank you for.