One Day Car Insurance
One day car insurance should only be used as a tool for saving money for very infrequent drivers. Typical one day insurance policies will cover damage in the event of an accident, accident recovery and repair, damages resulting from vandalism or theft, and liability against injury or damage of another person's property. Looking for one day insurance? Depending on when and why you may need this temporary insurance, you may have a difficult time finding this type of coverage. Most auto insurance providers, such as GEICO and Progressive, offer long-term insurance, such as six-month or 12-month terms. Then, typically, your car insurance is automatically renewed for the lifetime of your vehicle. This is how standard car insurance works. However, temporary car insurance works differently. Pay per day car insurance may be purchased for one day, three days, a week, or even a month. This coverage will generally provide the same insurance benefits, just for a shorter amount of time. Take the time to work with your insurance provider as there may be options for out-of-state travel or even those leaving the country. Providers may also offer insurance for when your car is in the shop.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: May 21, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Short term car insurance could be covered by your provider
- If you are renting a vehicle, the rental company will offer short term insurance
- Finding one to three day insurance may be difficult
One day car insurance is nice when you’re temporarily driving a vehicle, but it’s not always the easiest to find. If you just purchased your car, dealerships often offer temporary (one, two, three days’ worth of coverage) insurance until your personal insurance policy kicks in.
Though that’s not always the case, coverage for a limited period does exist.
Keep reading to learn more about this type of protection. Then head back to our learning center for more information about auto insurance.
Find what one day, three day and other temporary car insurance options are in your area by entering your ZIP code above.
What is single day insurance?
Short term insurance is not always available with standard insurance providers. Though some do offer policied for out of state travel and other circumstances.
Allstate offers an insurance policy for those taking a road trip from the United States to Mexico. GEICO offers coverage to rental cars.
Progressive has a similar program called non-owner car insurance. However, this insurance is only for when you are driving a car that is not yours, not necessarily short-term coverage.
Though Esurance doesn’t specifically state it’s rental coverage, it’s worth a call to your agent.
Can you get temporary car insurance?
One day car insurance makes sense for anyone needing to drive a car for a short distance or for a limited amount of time.
Those who can benefit from this cheap day insurance include movers, vacationers, test drivers, or borrowers of friends’ vehicles.
Note: Car dealerships’ and temporary insurance is usually available from one day up to six months.
Whenever you need to drive and you do not have insurance, buying one day car insurance is a smart decision.
When do you need temporary auto insurance?
If you are borrowing your friend’s truck to move some furniture or you are traveling across the country and aren’t sure if your insurance covers you in another country, one day car insurance is for you.
- Damage in the event of an accident
- Going through your insurance company to get repairs done
- Damages covered in comprehensive auto insurance, explained here.
- Liability against injury or death of another person
- Liability against damage to another person’s property
One-day to two-day car insurance should only be used as a tool for saving money for very infrequent drivers.
Why insure a car for one day?
If you drive your car two or three times per week, and do not put much mileage on your vehicle, you should not consider one day auto insurance.
There are already very cheap six-month and 12-month policies for drivers who fit this profile. On the other hand, if you drive once every two or three months, one day car insurance could be perfect for you.
Who should consider temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately for some drivers, insurance companies have more restrictions for who they let purchase one day car insurance.
Day to day auto insurance for high-risk drivers may be difficult to find. For these drivers to get insurance for a day may require additional fees and requirements.
Elderly drivers might face the same restrictions. Drivers with inferior driving records and those with DUI/DWIs on their record can also forget about single day car insurance. Learn more about the effects of a DUI/DWI on insurance coverage.
If you question whether or not you will be able to obtain one day car insurance, it’s best to ask your insurance agent. Locate one in your area with our comparison tool.
Can I insure a car for one day?
Different insurance companies have different rules and regulations when it comes to coverage in the short term. But should you buy temporary auto insurance? Here’s a list of drivers who may qualify:
- Drivers aged 21-75 years old
- Drivers with no more than six penalty points on their license within the past three years
- Drivers who have not had their license suspended in the past five years
- Drivers who have had no more than one at-fault insurance claim in the past three years
Now that you have decided this insurance is right for you, here is a step by step guide on how to get this type of insurance.
What is the best temporary car insurance?
As you start your search for day to day car insurance or cheap day car insurance, don’t forget the basics:
- Gather Up Information – Before calling your insurance company and getting one day insurance quotes, make sure you have your vehicle information, driving history information, as well as personal information all on hand. Doing so will make the process all the easier.
- Request Insurance Quotes Online – Use the form at the top of this page to get quotes from the leading insurance providers. Once you find a few companies you are interested in, request quotes for single day coverage policies from them — all of the major car insurance companies offer short term day-by-day insurance packages.
- Call Local Insurance Agents – You should also call a few independent local insurance agencies. Our insurance quote tool will mainly provide you with quotes from national insurance providers. You might be able to get an affordable, more customized quote by staying local.
- Pick A Provider – After you have compared prices and read reviews, it’s time to choose an insurer. Remember these five things to know before buying auto insurance. Make sure you peruse customer testimonials and reviews before making your decision.
- Pay The Premium – Once you have committed to an insurance company, it’s time to make payment. For one day car insurance policies, it’s often easiest to pay online with a credit card or debit card. Alternatively, you could also pay with a check, cash, or money order, but it might take a bit longer to process.
- Get Proof Of Insurance – After you made the payment, make sure you get a proof of financial responsibility. before you drive. If you get into an accident or get pulled over, police will need to see this to make sure you are insured.
Check out the table below for options that drivers in Alabama have for purchasing temporary insurance.
|Company||Average Monthly Rates (Temporary)|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
If you have more questions about one day insurance, keep reading.
Compare over 200 auto insurance companies at once!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Cheap Day Car Insurance FAQ
What day is car insurance cheapest?
According to CBS News, the best day to rent a car is Saturday.
Is there one day car insurance in California?
There are carriers based in California that will offer temporary insurance. But, it’s suggested to contact your current provider for traveling out of state.
For residents of California, the steps are laid out in this guide.
Stay with Your Provider
One day auto insurance is ideally used in short-term rental car scenarios, or when drivers borrow another’s car. Generally, it’s not needed to purchase an additional policy if you already have standard car insurance.
If you don’t have insurance already, enter your ZIP code to see what options are available near you.