As America grows more and more environmentally conscious, an increasing number of people in the country have decided to hit the road in their bicycles instead of their automobiles. There are a number of reasons why people choose to leave their car keys at home and strap on their bicycle helmets. The leading factors which influence this decision include:
- Physical Health Benefits – Biking is said to make you look younger. This may or may not be true, but whatever the case, biking is a very healthy activity. Your muscles, joints, and organs will all be well-maintained if you get yourself into a consistent biking schedule. Because of the low-impact, high intensity nature of cycling, it’s actually very hard to injure yourself while pedaling (unless, of course, you crash). Low risk for injury and high physical rewards make biking a very popular choice.
- No License Required – You can be 14 years old without a drivers license, 30 years old with a suspended license from a DUI (yikes!), or 90 years old with an expired drivers license, and riding a bike will still be an option for you. Biking doesn’t discriminate!
- Avoiding Rush Hour Traffic – Bumper to bumper bicycle traffic isn’t really a problem in the United States. Imagine weaving in an out of traffic and never having to wait at a stop light again. Rush hour will become an exciting experience and no longer a miserable prison sentence. It’s all made possible thanks to biking!
- No More Parking Hassles – If you live in a big city, parking can be a nightmare. You will either have to pay $30+ per day for all-day parking or over $200 per month for a monthly parking spot in a private lot. If you decide to park curbside in a public location, it might be free, but beware! You will be collecting parking tickets faster than Lindsay Lohan collects court summons. If you ride a bike everywhere, however, you will have front row VIP parking wherever you decide to go (or wherever you can find a place to lock it up!)
- It’s Good For The Environment – All that pollution in the air stinks! It also clogs up our lungs and the ozone and makes the Earth a pretty dismal place. Why not do your part and try to protect the Earth however you possibly can? Bicycling is a very good way to do so!
- It’s Fun – Speeding through the streets feeling the cold wind against your face is a great source of pleasure for most. Remember when you were a kid and used to ride around the neighborhood with your buddies? It’s never too late to become a kid again! Cycling is enjoyable.
- Money Saved – I can think of a million reasons why biking can save you money: no more paying for gas, saving on car maintenance, not having to pay for doctors visits cause you’ll be so healthy, no more parking tickets, no more road tolls, saving on public transportation costs, and if you are like me – not having to pay any more speeding tickets!
But alas, 4AutoInsuranceQuote.com is a site about auto insurance, so there has to be some benefit that biking has on your auto insurance premiums, right?
Start Biking And Save On Your Car Insurance Costs
If you get rid of your car completely and never drive again, you will obviously have no more need for car insurance. Car insurance, after all, is a large expense for most Americans. If you sell your car and move 100% into the biker lifestyle, you will never have to worry about all the expenses that come with driving, and that includes auto insurance.
If you are like most people, however, you need your car, and being without one is not exactly an option. What you can do, however, is up the miles on your bike and take away miles from your automobile. If you decide to bike more and drive less, you will still save a bundle on your insurance. Here’s how:
- When you first purchase an insurance policy from your insurer, they will ask you questions like “how often will you drive?”, “how many miles will you drive?”, and “what will be the primary use for your vehicle?” If you decide to bike most places and only drive when you absolutely need to, you will drive less. When you drive less, you pay less for insurance. In California, the Insurance Information Network performed a study that found on average, buy driving 5,000 miles less annually, you will save $500 on insurance.
- A lot of insurers offer pay-per-mile insurance policies. With this option, you only pay for the actual amount that you drive. The way this usually works is that insurance companies will install some type of monitoring device to your car that will tell the insurance companies how many miles you drive. If you bike a lot, this type of policy is perfect for you. Click here to read more about pay per mile auto insurance.
- There are also many indirect ways cycling can help save on auto insurance. These are some things that you normally wouldn’t even think of. For example:
– When you drive less, you get in less accidents. Less accidents mean a better driving record. A better driving record means lower insurance premiums.
– By driving less, you will decrease the wear and tear on your vehicle. This means that you car will be safer to drive and more likely to pass safety inspection tests. A safe, well-maintained vehicle warrants lower insurance costs.
– Just by having a vehicle parked on the side of the road, you are at risk of having something happen to it. If somebody hits your parked vehicle, you will need to make an insurance claim. If you don’t have a comprehensive insurance policy that covers these types of accidents, you will have to pay for these damages out-of-pocket. If you bike, however, you won’t even need to worry about this!
We understand that you need your vehicle. If getting rid of your car completely and cycling everywhere was an option for you, you probably wouldn’t be here on an automobile insurance website! Chances are, you, like everyone else are looking for ways to save on your premiums. By increasing your biking and decreasing your driving amounts, you can certainly do that! If you are looking for other ways to save on your insurance costs, the best way to do so is by shopping around and getting quotes from multiple companies and then choosing the one best for you and your family. At 4AutoInsuranceQuote.com we make that easy for you. Scroll back up to the top of this page and enter your zip code to begin. You will be getting competitive quotes from the top insurance providers in no-time!