In An Accident But Didn’t Get Any Insurance Information. What’s Next?

If you get into a car accident that isn’t your fault, then the law is on your side. This is the purpose for car insurance and it should then follow that the driver that was to blame will pay for the damage and for any medical costs through their insurance. It is a legal requirement that drivers should have insurance and therefore you should be able to safely presume that the other party will have the available funds to pay for the damage and you should be able to get back onto the road and afford any medical costs without any personal financial loss.

But of course it doesn’t always work like that. For example, what happens if you are in a car accident and the other person drives away? What if you are the victim of a hit and run?

In these cases, you won’t be able to get the costs paid by anyone else and you’ll be left to deal with them. This can be a very frustrating and upsetting experience as you now not only have the shock and trauma of being in a car accident but also the stress and inconvenience of having to pay for damage that was not your fault and that may have been outside of your control.

So, what do you do?

Your Rights As A Driver

If you have been in a car accident and the other driver did not stop to exchange details, then that is technically classified as a ‘hit and run’. This is an infraction and means that the other driver will face charges if they are eventually caught.

A hit and run is any kind of accident in which one party intentionally leaves the scene without providing contact information. If they haven’t stopped to ask if you are alright and to offer to exchange insurance details/contact information, then they have broken the law. Even if the accident was your fault!

The First Steps After Getting In An Accident

The first thing to do if you are the victim of a hit and run is to assess the local area and to see if there is any information that can help you to catch the culprit.

First, assess your own memory. Can you remember the make and model of the vehicle? Do you remember what the other driver looked like? Write down these details while they are fresh in your memory and it may improve your chances of tracking down the driver. Police may be able to narrow down potential culprits by looking at who is in the local area and drives that car. Of course, if you can get a number plate down on paper then that will be even better.

after car accident no insurance information

Another good idea is to get out the car (making sure it is safe to do so) and see if there were any witnesses who might be willing to give a statement. Ask if they saw the number plate and ask if they would be willing to give you their contact details to help you catch the culprit. If it ultimately comes down to your word against theirs in a court of law, then this could help sway the decision in your favor.

Likewise, try to look for any other evidence. Skid marks on the road and the nature of the damage to your car will help you to demonstrate what happened (even when you catch the driver, that doesn’t mean they will admit fault). Better yet, try going into local stores in the area and asking if they have security camera footage that they would be willing to let you use. These days there is almost always some form of security camera or CCTV in built-up areas and even motorways will often have recording devices in place.

One thing you must never do is to try and pursue the person who hit you. If you do this, then you risk causing further accident and you will lose the opportunity to follow the steps outlined.

Getting Compensation After The Hit-And-Run

Following this, you can then file a police report. The police will then be able to use the information you have given them and any other details in order to try and track down the guilty party. From here, you may be able to get compensation from the driver either through their insurance, or out of their own pocket (if they don’t have insurance). Even if they aren’t successful in apprehending the culprit, simply having a police report on file can help you legally in a number of ways.

For example, there is a possibility that your current car insurance policy will include ‘uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage’. This will cover hit and run accidents in many cases and that means you will only have to pay the agreed excess. In some cases, this will affect your premiums going forward but in others it will not (this often depends on your state). Check the small print in your contract to be sure. Some states actually require uninsured motorist coverage, so there is a good chance you’ll be protected.

Failing that, you may find that you can get compensation through charitable organizations that support victims of crime. If you have filed a police report, then they may well get in touch with you. Otherwise, you can try looking online to see if you are able to find an organization willing to help.


  Comments: 20

  1. I worked for a car dealer ship. I went with a customer to test drive a car. While we were out; we got into a car accident. The car was totalled. I had to take two days off due to minor injuries. I worked for.would not give me the insurance information. How can I get the ifo I need. I have the claim number.

    • Christina@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Victor, Sorry to hear about your car accident! This sounds like more of a workers compensation insurance claim since you were injured while in the course of doing your work. Did your manager or Human Resources representative have you fill out any paperwork regarding the accident & injuries? Did they discuss the accident with you? What was the reason they did not want to provide insurance information? To protect yourself, I strongly urge you to contact a personal injury attorney. You will want someone on your side that can provide personalized advice. Remember, the first meeting is normally a free consultation. In the meantime, you may want to get a copy of the crash report from the police department. The accident report should contain auto insurance information for both vehicles. Hope you are feeling better soon!

  2. My son was involved in a hit n run. My son was on a bike when a work van came out of no where in hit my son n kept going… My son was in a coma for two weeks and now he’s alert with brain damage… What compensation can my son get now even tho they haven’t caught the driver of the work van…. It happened in there county is my son in titled to compensation from the county or what soursce… The state responsible

    • Christina@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Zina, I’m so very sorry to learn of your son’s injuries. I have many questions for you. Was a police report filed in regards to this hit-and-run accident? If so, getting a copy of the crash report is vital to begin pursuing the negligent party. How do you know it was a work van? Were there witnesses? Or a video camera nearby? Any updates from the police detective assigned this case? Anyway that you can find out which business owned the van? I would recommend you immediately contact a personal injury attorney on behalf of your son. He needs someone looking out for his best interests. Most attorneys retain private detectives that can help track down the culprit which sounds like it is needed in this case. Remember, personal injury attorneys typically do not charge a fee until they are able to secure a settlement for their client. Best of luck to you and your son!

  3. Emma Manzano

    I was recently involved in a car accident, the other driver ran a red light and hit me, i was taken into the hospital and officer said he would collect all info needed. The person who hit me was not the owner of the vehicle but the owner did show up to provide insurance info to my mother who had also shown up at the scene. The officer stated he would get that info and had my mom follow me to the hospital. Officer failed to get info and i have not had any luck obtaining it. My insurance is not cooperating with me as they stated i was not covered because my insurance was not paid on time. How can i get that info. I’m desperate i had just purchased the vehicle and it is getting ready to be sold in an auction. I do not want to get stuck paying 20,000 for a car I no longer have.

    • Christina@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Emma, I’m sorry to hear of your accident. To clarify, a crash report was filed but there is no insurance information listed for the other vehicle? Is there at least information for the driver and the vehicle owner listed on the crash report? You will need this to begin pursuing any additional action. Normally you would rely on your own auto insurance to guide you through this process. However, it sounds like they are not a reliable source for you. So, once you have a copy of the accident report, I would urge you to contact an attorney with car accident experience. It sounds like you will need legal representation to pursue your claim. Remember, meeting with an attorney for the first time is normally free. He/she will be able to look at all aspects of this situation and tell you what the next step will be. If you are not already, then I recommend you keep in contact with the lienholder on your vehicle so they are aware of what is happening too. Ignoring the lender will not make the situation better. Best of luck!

  4. I was on the passenger seat, my sister was driving to the gas station when the other car backed up on us (really fast like it was on purpose, she was driving and old Honda car). She said she doesn’t have her insurance with her and told us to follow her to her house which we refused to do. They only put hot water on the dent on the bumper and insisted that it should be fine and just wanted to go. We didn’t call the police (it was the first that it happened to us so we didn’t know what to do). The following day we went to the police station to file a report but they said to just call our insurance company because it was not a “hit and run” incident. The person who hit our car still making excuses not to give us her insurance information, so we only have her driver’s license info, her plate number and phone number. We also just noticed a crack near the airconditioner part of the car. We did went to the nearest office of our insurance company but they just gave us a number to call for the claim. It feels like its just going on a loop and no one really is helping us, what should be the best thing to do?

  5. Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

    Hi Ann,

    Sorry to hear that this happened to you. It’s possible that the other driver doesn’t have insurance and the only way you’ll likely get a straight answer from them is if you sue. The best thing to do now is to decide if you would like to file a claim through your own insurance company. Consider the cost of the repairs (get an estimate first if you’re unsure) and your policy deductible. I would not recommend filing the claim through your insurer (since it will appear on your driving record) unless the damages greatly exceed the deductible. If you do file a claim, know that gas stations usually have cameras in place and may have captured the accident on video. Which could help the insurance adjuster with their investigation.

    Good luck.

  6. Kat Carpenter

    I was recently in a felony hit-and-run accident where the other driver had to leave their vehicle because mine and theirs were both totaled I did not have insurance and the other vehicle was found to be completely at fault. I have obtained the registered owner’s information from the police report and I want to know how do I go about requesting their insurance information? Please HELP!!

    • I hope you got ticketed for driving a vehicle without insurance yourself. Why would you be driving on the road with no insurance…. stupid! The registered owner of the other car, if the car that hit you was stolen, won’t have any responsibility to do anything for your car. If the owner of the car was also the driver you might have a case if they had insurance. In my opinion you’re a scum bucket for not having insurance!

  7. Hi,
    3 months back i was driving and the guy in front of me stopped so aggressively when he didn’t need to so i hit his back of the car. We exchange names and phone numbers, we take pictures of license plates. No police report was filed. My car was totaled after but i knew it was neither driver’s fault so i moved on. Couple of weeks later, he texts me saying that he wants 2500 for the damages to his car with pictures of bills. We both have different perspectives towards what happened and i let him know that so he said okay so we move on now. Earlier today an independent insurance adjuster leaves a voicemail that he wants to talk to me and get my perspective on what happened, given the other guy’s insurance contacted this adjuster. What should i do next? I know that one wrong move can cost me a ton so i need the help of someone who knows well about the matter. Thanks!

  8. I got into an accident where the driver behind me rear ended me. The only thing we exchanged were phone numbers. I’ve been trying to call her for the past couple of days to get her insurance information but she’s been ignoring me. I know where she works but I don’t want to cause her any trouble at her place of buisness. What should i do?

  9. I recently got into a car accident and the police showed up. It was 100% the other person’s fault but i forgot to get their information (i know smh). I don’t know if the police officer got their insurance and i have to wait up to 10 more days to get the police report and my car is sitting at the tow yard racking up fees. I’ve tried to get in contact w/ the officer too. I just don’t know what to do and i need her insurance.. i don’t want it to be too late.

  10. Hi

    My parked car was hit by another motorist during the night. I woke to a note on my car and their phone number. I sent them an estimate for car repairs and they will not send me their car insurance information. What do I now? I have their names and numbers but that is all. Should I contact my insurance company with that information? This has been going on for a week now and I have not gotten their insurance information from them

  11. My pick up truck got hit in my house I was parked out in the street and someone else hit my truck I got the police report but I don’t have the person car insurance information how do I get it

  12. Hi all,

    Was involved in my first accident the other day. a pedestrian was crossing so I was stopped at a light letting the pedestrian pass and a trick hit the back of my car–basically leaving a big dent a small hole underneath the trunk…basically just body damage. Technically the driver stopped…I asked the driver for contact info but he did not give it to me and I did say I’m not worried about it too much–but was not sure what to do after that. This happened 4 nights ago….what steps should I take now?

  13. I was rear ended. Very minor damage done. I did get the other drivers phone number who agreed to pay but hasn’t been returning my calls. He has responded to a few texts agreeing on a certain amount to just pay me instead of fixing the car. I haven’t recurved any money. This is in TX. Is there anything I can do?

  14. I was at a stop light and rolled the car a little and accidentally bumped the car in front of me. We pulled over, didn’t see any damage, exchanged numbers and left. 2 days later she text me saying the was a little damage to the car, which was a rental. She is requesting for my insurance info. This happened in los angeles, California

  15. I just rear ended someone today, we didn’t called the police but she asked for my insurance only and not even my phone number. The damage is just a very small dent like not even noticeable. Will my insurance go up and how much would they charge me?

  16. I got into an accident and I was so scared and nervous that I cudnt take other persons information and they even give me wrong no to call. What to do ?

Your feedback