What Happens If You Get Into An Accident Without Insurance?

When a person gets into a car accident, lots of things happen – problems arise, legal conversations are needed, and bills accumulate. When a person is insured, these problems become much smaller and much easier to solve. However, if a person is uninsured, things can get out of hand.

Auto Accident Without Insurance

Automobile accidents without insurance can be devastating

Car accidents are terrifying situations to have to face. They can be much more terrifying, however, if you don’t have auto insurance. In the United States, in order to drive a car, you need to have at least some form of automobile insurance. All states have minimum requirements as to how much insurance coverage is needed in order to get behind the wheel. In other words, car insurance is mandatory. There is good reason for this as well – it is not just some stupid law. Let’s take a look at what will happen if you do not have auto insurance and are involved in an accident:

Legal Issues From Accidents With No Insurance

Court dates, fines, license suspension, and lawsuits will all be in your future if you are in a car accident without insurance.

If you do not have proper insurance identification at the time of the accident, you will need to go to court in order to present proof of insurance to them. If you do not have this proof of insurance (AKA you did not have insurance at the time of your accident), you will need to go before a judge. The judge will most likely fine you and sentence you to some sort of legal punishment.

Driving-without-insurance fines vary by state and they can be very large. If you are involved in such an accident, representation by an experienced lawyer is highly recommended. Investing in a well-reputed lawyer could save you a lot of money. Remember to not talk to authorities or insurance claims specialists without first consulting with a lawyer.

License Suspensions

Car Accident Legal Fees

Legal fees can be through the roof!

On top of your legal fines, you most likely will get some type of license suspension as well. Many states including California, New York, and Texas will suspend your license (or license plates) if you are discovered to be driving without proper insurance. License plate suspensions usually involve seizure of your vehicle and impoundment for at least 30 days. License suspensions are more severe. California, for example, suspends drivers’ licenses automatically for 6 months if they are in an accident without insurance.

Being Sued

If you do not have car insurance and are involved in an accident, you are likely to be sued personally for any damages or injuries that occurred in an accident in which you were at fault. If you had insurance (like you were supposed to), the insurance company would pick up the tab on the civil court ruling. Depending on the damages and injuries that you were ruled at fault in, you could end up paying a lot of money (often times in the millions). If you do not have enough money to pay for the amount you owe, you can lose your home and any other assets of value. As you can see, not having insurance can be devastating.

Coverage For Your Automobile

If you are ruled to be at fault in an auto accident and do not have insurance, there will be nobody left but yourself to pay the bill for damages to your vehicle. If you do not have the money to purchase a new car or to pay for the damages to your vehicle, you better get used to walking or taking the bus because you may be without a car for a long time.

Coverage For Injuries

Even if a drunk driver comes up from behind and smashes into your vehicle, leaving you paralyzed, you cannot get paid for your suffering if you do not have insurance. Basically, without insurance, you are on your own. You will need to pay for your own medical expenses even if the accident was not your fault. Because your life can be ruined in an instant without it, auto insurance is always worth the money.

The Final Word On Accidents Without Insurance

As you can see, there are some real dangers of driving without insurance. Aside from the danger of getting a very expensive ticket, your life can be ruined in an instant if you are unlucky enough to get into an accident without insurance. Fortunately, with the amount of resources available helping you find affordable auto insurance, there is really no reason why anybody these days should need to drive without it. Use the internet to compare quotes in order to find the cheapest rates for you. After all, anything is better than suffering through the headache of an accident without insurance.


  Comments: 167

  1. Worst thing that can happen IMO is if you are ruled at fault and the person discovers you aren’t covered. He then proceeds to fake whip lash and all these other injuries and sues the life out of you… this actually happened to one of my friends.

    Oh yeah, that and killing someone without insurance.

    • my bf just got into a car accident and were now waiting for if there putting it as his fault. he hit a guy on a moped but he didnt see him. he doesnt have valid insurance but the cop did not acknowlege that. what should we do till the court date. also the guy didnt give us any info he was taken to the hospital not to long after the accident. i dont believe he had insurance or any idea we didnt.

      • If the other car is at fault can I still collect if my car is uninsured and has fake tags at time of accident

        • Insurance just lapsed ,otherdriver totally at fault what can happen?

          • Truck hit me I had no insurance at time can I sue

          • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

            Hello Tom,

            If your insurance lapsed before this occurred, your insurer will not cover any claims related to the accident. If the other driver is proven to be at-fault and their insurance carrier accepts liability, you can seek coverage through the liability portion of their policy. To prove that the other driver is at-fault, you should have a copy of the official police report that states the same or a witness account(s) supporting your claim. It’s important to have these because if the other driver denies they were at-fault or even involved, their carrier may not cover your claim. If the other driver does not have insurance, you should try to come to an agreement and arrange for them to cover your costs.

            Good luck.

          • In traffic coming to a stop, my break line blew out. I ended up hitting the back end of a rental vehicle. No one was hurt, and only about $1,500. Worth of damage. Today I received a letter in the mail stating my insurance lapsed months ago and was cancelled. I had no idea, not that it’s any excuse, but it’s been a busy transition year, our youngest daughter got married, (I did the entire wedding for her, even the bachelorette getaway) I started a new job, so Life has been extremely busy. Any advice on what I need to do now?

          • I was setting at a red light and was hit by two other automobiles. My car was totaled, I have medical injuries because of it. I discovered after the fact my insurance had lapsed by a few days. What can I do to collect for damages?

        • Yes you can still take your plates off as if they were stolen you can’t have your car repaired until you obtain legal plates from DMV cause every Legal mechanic shop must have valid info in order for them to repair tie car

        • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

          Hello Annette,

          If the other party has insurance, you can file a claim through their liability coverage. Their insurer will cover your damages if their insured is found to be at-fault and they accept liability. This can happen if- their insured admits fault during their recorded statement, if you provide a police report stating their insured was at fault, or you have a witness account(s) to back up your claim. The property damage liability will cover your vehicle repairs up to the policy limit and the injury liability will cover your out of pocket medical costs to an extent, usually determined by state law. Keep in mind that their insurer may report you to the state for driving with fake or expired tags, in which case you may face a suspended license and other penalties / fines. If the other party doesn’t have insurance, you can try to come to an agreement with them to cover your costs or you may have recourse to file suit against them.

      • I got into an accident on the 24th of May. My insurance lapsed,but I still presented my insurance cards to the cops. I got insurance the next day,but still got the letter in the mail to provide a Certificate of Compliance by the 8th of July. My license could still get suspended cause my insurance wasn’t obtained on the day of the accident, it was a day after.

      • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

        Hi Michelle,

        In a situation like this, your best course of action may be to consult with an attorney. A moped is generally considered a motorized vehicle, therefore it’s possible that the other person was at fault if they committed an infraction causing the accident. Have you requested a copy of the official police report from the station? The report will have the incident details, as well as the officer’s notes, and will help you determine who was deemed at-fault for the accident. Unless you take action you may end up having to pay the injured party’s costly medical bills.

  2. Louise Lloyd

    One should never be too reckless to drive without insurance since it’s required. It will definitely come in handy for we never know if one day we’ll get to an accident. Better play things safe.

  3. I got into a car accident over the weekend with my bf. we did not have insurance bc of some problems we have been having and it wasnt going to be effective until this week. The accident was DEF her fault, she got a ticket and I spent the weekend in the hospital bc im pregnant and its caused some major problems. what happends if it IS ther other persons fault but you did not have insurance?

    • The same thing happened to me. They didn’t take my statement or anything only the insured drives and supposed witness. She admitted she didn’t stop at the stop sign and that she turned to miss hitting me,but since I was not insured I am being sued and my licence will be suspended.

    • You will not be covered no matter what. That’s your punishment for not having insurance while driving.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Tarra,

      I hope everything was okay with you and your baby. If the other driver was found at-fault for the accident, then you could claim the repair costs for your vehicle up to their policy limit and out of pocket medical expenses up to a certain extent, under the liability coverage on their policy. It definitely helps if the police responds to the scene and writes up an official report in this situation. The report will serve as proof later on that the other person was at-fault and will prevent them from simply denying they were at-fault or even involved, as this could lead to their insurer denying the claim. You should contact her insurer and find out if a claim has been filed and who the assigned adjuster is; the adjuster would be your point of contact for processing the claim. If she doesn’t have insurance, then you can try to come to an arrangement for her to cover your expenses or you may have cause to file a lawsuit against her.

  4. I was just in a car accident and did not have insurane, no one was hurt and we both signed waviers stating we did not want to go to the hospital, the accident was my fault and the other driver does not have insrance either, I have no assets, I live with my boyfriend and the only liable asset I had was my vehicle which is totaled, what will happen, it I get sued, what can they get if I have nothing? Besides the considerable fines and possible liscense supspension? Thank you.

    • im having the same problem can you give me any advice at all

    • Same position. I have no idea what to do from here. I got into a car accident hit a parked car. My insurance at the time was lapsed and I was completely not aware. The accident was my fault but I have no money to cover the other cars damages. I lost my job and now i have no car because its totaled. I’m going to assume the other driver doesn’t have insurance either. What should I do? The other driver stated they were going to sue. Do I stop communicating with them at this time. I live in the state of michigan.

      • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

        Hi Ashley,

        Sorry to hear that both you and the other driver are in this situation. It doesn’t sound like there is much you can do. If I were in your position, I would stop communicating with the other driver and wait to see if they do take legal action. I would say it’s unlikely as filing a suit against an individual can be expensive and there is no guarantee of collecting. If they report you to the state you license will likely be suspended for driving without insurance and you may face other fines / penalties. If they do have insurance and file a claim through them, they will reach out to you. If you do not contest that the accident was your fault, you will likely receive the bill for the repairs at a later point in time.

        • So what happens when ur told that it will go into collections? Do they garnesh your checks or do they have to take u to court before anything?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Angela,

      It sounds like neither party was seriously injured, I’m glad to hear that. While it is possible that you could be sued, I would say it’s unlikely. If they do sue, they could try take your totaled car and auction it through a salvage auction. They could try to take any other assets you have or try to garnish your wages, although their ability to do so could be limited by state law. If the state is given notice you were driving without insurance, your license would likely be suspended. My suggestion to you is to try to reach an agreement with the other driver to cover the costs necessary to at least get their car running again. Keep copies of any agreements in writing and signed.

    • So what if I was at fault but I don’t have any insurance and my card said I did have insurance she took all my information and I didn’t get none of hers

  5. auto wreck lawyer

    Always get insurance… it is too dangerous to drive out here with out it.

    • I got into an accident and I don’t have insurance. Is there any insurance companies that will cover the cost of a accident that happened before I was insured?

      • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

        Hi Charles,

        Unfortunately not, the point of insurance is that you are paying the insurance company a monthly premium in order for them to take on the risk of anything that could happen while you’re driving. What would be the point of paying someone to cover your accident after it’s already happened? It would only make sense to them as a business if you paid them more than the costs associated with the accident. Were you financing or leasing your vehicle? If you were, you should check to see if you picked up the GAP plan when you purchased the vehicle or if it was included in your lease contract. The GAP insurance may at least cover what you owed on the vehicle, if anything.

    • I was bleeding and panicked i was 9 months pregnant with first baby i have no license and not on mothers insurance no one was home to take me to the ER, so i took my moms car and a car ran a red light and hit me totaled my moms car and hers, the police made me at fault because i had no license my moms car was insured in her name not mines, now the other persons insurance is sending my mom letters saying she has to pay them? Help!

  6. I have been driving under my farthers insurance i got into a fender bender were the other car had no damage and i was not given any tickets regarding the weather now they are saying they do not want me to drive , because i have a carless driving and adriving under supened lince i am having a hard time gettimng quotes what should i do ,drive safe and only emergices until my b-day my driving record will be wiped

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good afternoon Danielle,

      Who is saying they do not want you to drive? Your parents? You sound young and have to try understand the situation from their perspective. An accident on your record, as well as citations for careless driving and driving without insurance, likely makes you extremely expensive if not impossible to insure. These marks stay on your driving record for a while, sometimes for years, affecting your rate all the while. As a suggestion, you should try looking into quotes with non-admitted carriers and insurance for high-risk drivers offered through your state. If all else fails, you will have to find alternative means of transportation until some of the marks fall off your record.

  7. few days ago i was at a store and i was drivng outa parking lot and the guy was on my left side and was driving too he stoped and i hit him a lil with my miror he got a scratch and a dent i just got the car and the insurance is on my parents for now so i told him not to call the cops well work it out i gave him all my info got his and we agreed to talk it over the next day since it was night the next day we agreed that im either gona get his care take it to the shop or pay cash the next day i went on a busnise trip for a day he did an estimate and they said its 961 to fix wen his car at most is worth 10k and its only 200 to fix it max so i said wen i come back tomorow well talk i come home yesterdaay trina reach him he dont pick up today my parents insurance calls and said they aint gona cover it i didnt wana do it trough insurance cus i got a 30k bmw and they gona make my car salvage tittle and in my miror onky a little pice chiped of the trimof the mirror and my parents insurance ssai they aint gona cover it wats gona happen now…

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Drey,

      Unfortunately since it seems you were at-fault for the accident, you will have to bite the bullet. It seems that the driver suspected you wouldn’t be willing to pay the full amount quoted to repair his damages and figured the insurance company would. Why is it that your parent’s insurer is not covering the accident? Did you tell them you weren’t at-fault? Is there no collision coverage on the BMW? I am aware the BMW’s are salvaged easily, but I highly doubt a $30,000 BMW will be totaled by the damage you’ve described. Although you can expect a slightly higher repair bill. You can still work it out with the other driver and ask the insurer to withdraw the claim or just let the insurance handle it from here. Either way, record of the accident is already on file and you can just about expect your rates to go up.

      • I was in an accidental two weeks ago…I was sitting in a parking lot and this old lady was going at least 40+ mph across the parking lot and smashed into my driver side tire and the place who towed it said it’s totaled. The cops came and the lady was at fault. She hit so hard it blew her airbags and she kept passing out so she went to hospital. My head bounced off my window a couple times but I didn’t go to hospital. Since then I have been getting bad headaches where my head hit the window almost daily now. Is it too late to go to hospital from the accident? Also, the cops didn’t get the lady’s insurance information. They only wrote down her name, make & model of her car, her plate info, and her phone number, which was actually the wrong number. I got her real number from 411 and have been calling leaving messages for the last two weeks and still have not heard from her. I did not have insurance at the time but I lied to cops telling them I did. Is there anyway I can find out who her insurance company is through if she does not call me back or what should I do? I was told I should get a rental through her insurance but I’m not sure how it works but i don’t have a vehicle now and my boyfriend can’t get to work now so we’re losing out on $700 week and about to lose our place to live…what should I do?

  8. I was involved in an accident. The other person did not stop at a stop sign and turned onto my street where I was backing up. Payment to the insurance company was made days before. After the accident the insurance company sent the money back and cancelled my insurance. I paid for my car to get fixed because the insurance company refused to come out and see how the accident happened. Btw, this was not my car. Now I am receiving calls about an outstanding bill to the other guys insurance (which was the same insurance) and their collection agency. I am being threatened that I will have my license suspended for a car that was not mind in an accident that was not my fault.

    What can I do for this issue? The insurance company tells me it has nothing to do with fault that I owe but I know it does.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good afternoon Jo,

      Regardless of when you made the payment to the insurance company, when was the policy supposed to take effect? Before or the day of the accident, or some days afterwards? If the policy became effective before or the day of the accident, your insurer should have considered the claim. If the policy was to become effective afterwards however, it was within the insurer’s right to deny the claim, cancel your policy, and return your money. Did you call a police to scene at the time of the accident to write a report? This report would serve as proof that the other driver was at-fault. If not, are there any witnesses that would be willing to speak on your behalf? It’s possible that the other driver reported you as at-fault to their insurer and if you admitted fault in your statement or ignored their insurer (did not contest it), then the insurer proceeded based on that information and is billing you for the damage they paid out on. Your license can be suspended for driving without insurance at the time of the accident, but if it does happen you should be able to reinstate by showing the DMV current insurance and paying penalties. Who does own the car? They could be held responsible as well for giving you permission to drive it in the first place. Your best bet may be to consult with a lawyer.


    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Vennessa,

      State law will generally require you to carry active auto insurance in order to maintain an active registration. Your registration may be cancelled as a result of the court process, however there should be a procedure through the DMV to reinstate it. You’ll likely have to go to the DMV and show them proof of the active insurance coverage and then pay any fines or penalties. Keep in mind that you don’t need insurance until you do and you’re lucky that you friend was only pulled over and not involved in a serious accident where the consequences could have been more severe for both of you. Also remember that lending your vehicle to someone else is like lending your coverage (or lack thereof), you are taking the risk for what may happen.

  10. My wife got a call after almost 1 year of getting into an accident, which was the other persons fault. However unfortunately her insurance had lapsed unbeknownst to us when the accident occurred. At that time the other person’s insurance covered the damage to their car and we took care of our car out of pocket. We forgot all about it. And promptly restored our insurance as the lapse was a mistake.

    Today, out of the blue, after almost 1 year of the accident, wife got a call asking to give $11k RIGHT NOW or else they threatened to report that she was driving without insurance, which will lead to authorities suspending my wife’s driving license. The phone number was from Sarasota Fl And on calling back it went straight to voicemail without naming a company or person.

    Is this a scam or should we be worried? Any advice?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Jay,

      Was your wife’s insurance policy lapsed at the time of the accident? Or did it lapse afterwards? If the policy was active the day of the accident, the insurer should have afforded coverage even if it lapsed a day after. Did the police respond to the scene at the time? Who did the police determine was at fault based on their official report? Did your wife ever speak to the other driver’s insurance company during the claims process and admit fault for the accident? Did your wife ignore calls from the insurer altogether? It’s quite possible that the other driver told their insurer your wife was at-fault and if this was supported by the police report, your wife’s statement, or was not contested, then their insurer may have proceed based on the information they had. Meaning that they covered their own insureds damages and passed the bill onto your at-fault wife. You should find out who the people are that called you from Sarasota, probably a collections agency. Then call the other driver’s insurer and verify if the debt at the collections agency is valid. If it is valid, you have to decide whether to pay it- in full, as a settlement, through a payment plan, or to consult with a lawyer about contesting the at-fault designation and the amount owed.

  11. Last month I was in an accident my daughter was in the car with me, I was making a right turn from the stop sign in my community, and a car was coming from the direction from which I was turning , we collided I was cited for failing to obey traffic sign, and the other driver was cited for expired taga and later I found out throughy insurance company that she had no insurance, now will my insurance company pay for her damages she also had a passenger in the car with her.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good afternoon Angee,

      As long as your policy was active at the time of the accident, your liability coverage should cover the other driver’s damages and for their injuries up to certain extent, up to your policy limits. Her passenger could claim out of pocket injury expenses against your liability coverage as well. From what you’ve described, the other driver had the right-of-way and you were likely determined to be at-fault for the accident. Unfortunately, an at-fault accident will typically remain on your report for 3-5 years and will almost guarantee your rates to increase, sometimes substantially. If you receive any communication from an attorney about the other driver attempting to sue you, you should let your insurer know right away so they can assign an attorney of their own to defend you.

  12. I was in a accident about a week ago. I was slowing down at a red light and my brakes gave out I hit the women in from of me in her mini van. It only chipped a little spot on her van but she also had two very young kids. No one was hurt and she wasn’t mad she even told me she was sorry. I’m out of the job right now and I’m a volunteer firefighter. I drive a beat up 95 camaro and me and my fiancé live with her parents for now. I have NO insurance. What will happen and what do I do? I live in kentucky

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Sean,

      Did you an the other driver exchange information? If the other driver is looking to repair the damage to her vehicle, then I suggest you try to make an arrangement with her to pay for the repairs out of pocket. Ask her to get an estimate at a reputable shop and go from there. If you can’t make an arrangement with her and she may decide have her vehicle repaired through her own insurance, however if the damage does not exceed her deductible, if any, then it would be denied as under-deductible. Though she could be covered through uninsured motorist coverage if she has it. In this case, the accident would still appear on both of your driving records with her not-at-fault and yours at-fault, with the possibility of her rates going up and yours almost guaranteed to go up, for however many years the accident remains on the report. Her insurer may also report you to the state for driving while uninsured and your license could be suspended. Again, I would suggest discussing these details with her directly.

  13. Fabian Ibatra

    I was hit the other day , my car was parked , but I have no insurance well at least on that car . Can I still file a claim ?

    • Fabian Ibatra

      I live in texas.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Fabian,

      You could file a claim against the other person’s insurance if you were able to get their information or at least work out an agreement with them to have them pay for your damages. If you plan on filing a claim with their insurer, it would help you have an official police report for the incident or at least contact information for a witness or two. Otherwise you would have to rely on their honesty. If they had fled the scene by the time you came out to your car, then you are likely out of luck and will have to pay for the repairs yourself. You could call the police and report a hit and run, but if there is no information on the other vehicle, from a witness account or an on-premises camera, then it probably won’t go anywhere.

  14. Carolyn Mcelfresh

    I was in a fender bender about 3 days ago I don’t have insurance I thought I was on my parents and I wasn’t the other people are saying they will go by on the police what does that mean? Everyone was fine the only damages was some paint messed up

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Carolyn,

      Do you live with your parents? And who owns the vehicle? If you live with your parents then you should check with their insurer are you are afforded any coverage under “Insured Resident Relative” and “Permissive Use”. If your parents own the vehicle and the policy that covers it, they may be held responsible for allowing you to use the vehicle even though you’re not on their policy. What the other party means when referencing the police could mean several things. That they’re threatening to report you for driving without insurance or that they will go by what the police report says, if the police had responded to the scene. My suggestion to you is to get together with your parents and try to come to an agreement with the other party to pay for their repairs out of pocket, since it sounds like they were minor. Be sure to get any agreement in writing and signed by both parties.

  15. my car was hit I have no license nor insurance, I only have a permit.
    it was the other drivers fault. they don’t have insurance nor license either.
    what can I do?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Brenda,

      In this situation, having the police come out to the scene would not benefit either of you, since you’d both be penalized and the vehicles would likely be impounded. However, it would serve as proof that the other driver was at-fault if you were to file a suit against them later down the road. In this situation I would suggest you try to work an agreement out with the other party to have them pay for your repairs, hopefully they are honest and follow through. If they refuse to pay then you’d likely be stuck with the costs to repair since attempting to collect, through a suit, can be expensive, difficult, and without guarantee.

  16. got in accident have no insurance but other driver was at fault. who pays for my car?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good morning Tammy,

      If you can prove the other driver was fault with a copy of the official police report, then you can file a claim through the liability coverage on their insurance policy and they will cover your repairs up to the liability limit if they accept liability. You can file a claim with the other party’s insurer even if you don’t have a police report, but in that case, whether the insurer accepts liability or not would greatly depend on how honest their insured is when giving their recorded statement. If the insureds decides to deny being responsible or even being at the scene of the accident, their insurer may not pay.

  17. my husband took my car without my permission in was in a little accident and now they’re trying to sue me and suspend my license behind it can that really happen even though I wasn’t on the scenes the accident

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Ashlyn,

      Sorry to hear that you’ve found yourself in this situation. This will depend on whether or not you can prove that your husband took your vehicle without permission. Did you report the vehicle stolen to the police as soon as you noticed it was gone? If you did not, then your best course of action may be to consult with an attorney and see if there are any other avenues you can take. If you cannot prove that you didn’t give your husband permission to drive the vehicle, then it’s possible you could be held responsible. Depending on your state, there are typically state minimums for insurance on the vehicle while the registration is active. It does not help if you were not meeting these requirements.

      Good luck.

  18. Got in a wreck van wasn’t mine can they suspended my license if the vehicle wasn’t mine

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Marilyn,

      If you were driving the van with the owner’s permission, it’s unlikely that your license would be suspended just for that. However, there could be other aspects of the accident that could give just cause for the suspension, such as why you got into a wreck in the first place. Did you break any laws? Were you under the influenced? I would be more worried then. If you were not driving with the owner’s permission, then yes, your license could be suspended and you may face other penalties. As for the damages / injuries arising from the accident (if any), the vehicle owner would likely be responsible depending, again, on whether they gave you permission to drive or not.

  19. My daughter was hit head on in a car accident, police seen it. The driver had just bought the car from a private owner and there was no insurance on the car. The man that hit her has no license, no insurance, and said he had just moved here from Mexico. We live in Houston,Tx. Can my daughter go after the man driving the car and the pervious owner

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Tracy,

      Sorry to hear that your daughter was injured. If the other driver has documentation showing that original owner sold him the vehicle, such as a bill of sale and signed title, it’s highly unlikely that the original owner would be liable for the accident. If there are no sale documents, then the previous owner could be held responsible, but that depends on certain circumstances, such as whether he gave the driver permission to drive the car or reported it stolen. As for going after the person driving the vehicle, you could try, but it may be more expensive and difficult to collect from this person, especially if they are undocumented and now face deportation. It would be easier for your daughter to proceed through her own insurance for the vehicle repairs and her injuries.

  20. If I was driving my bestfriend sister car and I was in a accident I got a ticket. there was no insurance in the car and i didn’t know. When I ask her if she had insurance she tell me yes. But she don’t want to give it to me because the don’t want any one to sue her and her insurance to go up, now the other person is suing me. What should I do?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Kee,

      In this case the owner of the vehicle and policyholder would likely be responsible for the suit since they gave you permission to drive the vehicle, but it depends on several variables, such as whether you injured the other party or not. Your best course of action may be to discuss the situation with an attorney of your own. If consulting with an attorney is not an option for you, then you might consider speaking to the attorney that is serving you the lawsuit and explain that this vehicle and insurance policy are in your friend’s name and provide them with her contact information so they can get in touch. Before you do this, you could try discussing it with your friend again and ask for her insurance information once more to file the claim, as speaking to the other party’s attorney directly may not be in your best interest. Once the claim is filed the insurer would assign an attorney of their own if necessary and adjudicate the claim. You are responsible for paying or contesting the ticket however.

  21. I bumbed into someones car while their car was parked but I didnt have insurance and they came outside and saw it was me they got my info and had their insurance company call me about the damages all there was on their car was a tiny crack in the front bumber can i get introuble for not having insurance and what if i cant pay all at once when they stick me with the bills

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote


      From what it sounds like, there was very minimal damage. Meaning that when the other driver tries to process the claim through their insurance, the damage estimate may fall below deductible and the claim will be denied; in which case the other driver would be responsible for the costs out of pocket. It’s highly unlikely they would sue you as it would cost more to do so than to just repair the damages and there were no injuries that could be claimed. If their insurance does not have a deductible, then their insurer will likely bill you for the damages and expect the payment in full. You would have to discuss with them about any options, including a payment plan. If you refused to pay the bill it would likely go to collections. It’s also possible that their insurer will report you to the state for driving without insurance, in which case your license may be suspended until you provide proof of active insurance and pay the applicable fines.

  22. Can someone tell me what happened if I got in a car accident and you were the passenger, the car that hit me the dude had no insurance and also the car wasn’t his. What happens! Can I sue him even tho the car I was in was at fault.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good morning Skai,

      In this situation, your best course of action would be to consult with an attorney on whether or not you could sue the other party and for what cause. Generally speaking, if the driver of your vehicle was at-fault for the accident, the other party would have more cause to sue the driver of your vehicle. If you sustained injuries then you should be able to file a claim through the insurance policy of the car you were in to cover your medical costs up to the policy PIP limit. As for the other party’s driving situation, if the police was called to the scene then he would be cited for driving without insurance and the car would likely be impounded.

  23. I got in a car accident I didn’t have insurance and no License. The other person didnt have insurance and a permit to be with an adult but wasn’t with an adult. I hit the car from the back. I was at fault. I’m still considered a minor. Can I still get sued??

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Daniel,

      Since neither of you are insured, you would have to discuss with each other and determine how to best proceed. Calling the police would likely not be in either of your favors, since you’d both be penalized for not having insurance, they could get their permit suspended and you would get your vehicle impounded / face additional penalties for driving without a license. From what it sounds like the damage was minor and it’s unlikely you will be sued, as filing a lawsuit would likely be more expensive then the repairs themselves. Had the other person claimed to have sustained serious injuries however, they could have sued the owner of the vehicle (I’m assuming your parents?) for allowing you to use the vehicle and go after their assets.

  24. I hit a car from the back in the rear bumper, it was an straight hit, I do not have any insurance, and there were a dent in the other person’s bumper that is impossible that I could made it because the dent was almost at the corner of the bumper and like I said it was an straight hit. The other person insurance want me to pay for the damages, no matter if I did them or not. They told me that if I refuse to respond I might lose my driving privilege. So I do not thing that is fair like paying for some other things that are not my fault. So I want to know if I refused to pay for the damages I do not consider that were my fault, for how long would I get suspended my driving privileges?? That would be the only thing that could happened??

    • I just got into an accident! I was driving around 65 to 70 on the far left side of the freeway while it was pouring. Out of know where i hit a bump, send lots of water splashing up, i lose control of the car (im pushing hard on the brakes but it wont stop) and its starts doin a 180, hits a car on my right side then send me slipping back to my lane n hitting a cement wall and the airbag shoots out. I wait there till the cops areive n find out the white i hit, hit another car leading to another car, so 4 in total. I wait there fir the cops to arrive. One man goes out n ask if i was fine and told me no one else got hurt. Cop gets my info n lets me go, just tells me to fix my flat left wheel. So in conclusion the 2 doors are jammed n wont open as is the window n a small crack in the back in front. I Have No Insurance, so what could the other 3 cars do to me, and how much will it cost to repair my car? And what fines am i gonna have to pay, also should i get an insurance asap?

      • In a similar situation, can you tell me what happened after your accident?

      • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

        Hi Jasmine,

        It seems everyone made it out of that accident without serious injuries, that’s good to hear at least. The insurance companies would more than likely find you responsible for the accident and shift liability in your direction, since you started the chain reaction. Since you don’t have insurance coverage however, they will likely advise their insureds to proceed through their own policies for coverage up to their limits. If the insureds exceed their limits for vehicle repairs or medical bills, they may choose to sue you. The insurers may choose to sue you as well. That you will get sued is unlikely as suing someone is expensive and when suing an individual, there is much less guarantee of a collecting a substantial payout vs suing your insurer for instance, if you had one. You should have a qualified shop give you an estimate for the repairs, although if your airbags deployed your car may have suffered frame damage. A vehicle with frame damage is a safety hazard even if the cosmetic damage is repaired and it greatly reduces the resell value of your car. You will probably be penalized for driving without insurance with a citation and / or a license suspension. It would be good to get insurance ASAP, but it will not cover events prior to its effective date. Perhaps you should consider consulting with a lawyer about the pothole in the road and any recourse against the City or about any open recalls on the vehicle which may have caused you to lose control.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Moises,

      If the police was called to the scene and recorded the rear-end accident on an official report or if you admitted the accident in a statement to their insurer, then you will more than likely be responsible for all of the damage in the area near the impact, regardless whether you caused it or not. However, if the police was not called to the scene and you haven’t admitted the accident to their insurer, then it’s your word against theirs. If they are not willing to be honest, then you should decide how to best proceed. In my experience if you don’t have insurance and refuse to speak to their insurer, their insurer will process the claim and cover their damages. Depending on the information they have, if they can prove it was you who rear-ended their insured, the insurer may sue (unlikely) or bill you later to collect their payout. If you ignore the bill, it could go to collections and affect your credit. Their insurer could report you to the state for driving without insurance and your license would likely be suspended. If the other driver doesn’t have insurance, then yes, they can report you to the state as well. Although you could do the same to them in that case.

  25. I need to know my bf lent my truck out had insurance the day of accented but didn’t know they wreak and lefted it will it still be covered cuz i dont have it now 3 days later

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote


      If your boyfriend lent the vehicle out to another person who is not listed as a driver on your policy, more than likely the insurer will deny any claims for damages. You should locate your vehicle as soon as possible and recover it using a tow service as the police may consider an abandoned vehicle by the side of the road, a danger to public safety and impound it. If the damage is not extensive, you should have it towed to a repair shop for an estimate to get it running again. If the damage is severe and you’re sure the repairs would be out of your budget, then consider selling the vehicle through a salvage auction. Depending on the age and condition of the truck, perhaps you can get enough from the sale to buy a working vehicle to get to and from work or anywhere else you need to be.

      Good luck.

  26. So my friend had a car accident in my car but wasnt insured. And he ran out of the scene. Can i do anything so he can pay for it?
    Or there is nothing i can do to make him pay the money they want me to pay?

    It was my car, my plates, etc but he is illigal and i can prove that i wasnt driving….

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Carlos,

      In this case, the insurers and the law will more than likely consider that you had given your friend permission to drive your vehicle and upon giving your friend permission, you took the risk of anything happening upon yourself. The claim will be processed through your insurance (if you have it) and quite possibly denied, it will appear on your driving history, and you will be responsible for any claims or suits beyond the policy limits. It may sound harsh, but you should never allow someone who isn’t on the policy to drive your vehicle, especially someone who is undocumented and may escape the reach of the law. Your only way out of this was to have reported the vehicle as stolen to the police as soon as you realized it was gone and to produce a copy of that police report or case number to your insurer (or the other party’s insurer) at the time the claim was filed. The only recourse you can take against your friend is to report him to the police for the hit and run and if he is undocumented, it’s possible he would be deported.

  27. I was in a accident last Sunday the 15th, I was hit while waiting for a parking spot with my flashers on across from my church. I was hit from the rear where both my daughters were seated. The person that hit me totalled my car. My oldest daughter and I are injured. My insurance lapsed the beginning of the month and it was due to income. I’m a single mom. Ironically, I had made arrangements with the company to have the payment to reinstate the insurance this coming Thursday. I have 13 witnesses that all say he was at fault. He was a security guard on duty in a company vehicle and not near his post. He also stated that his sugar was low. Will my plates, license etc be suspended even though he was totally at fault? Do I have a case or no because of the insurance situation? What do I do? I needed that car? And now due to injury I’m off work and my daughter is out of school. Any advice would be great. I’m in Michigan

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Kai,

      Sorry to hear about this awful situation. The best way to proceed would be to call the police and have them write an official report, including the witness accounts. You should take the contact and insurance information from the person that hit you and the contact information of any witnesses. In this case, if the other driver is determined to be at fault, you could have your vehicle repairs and some of your injuries covered or reimbursed, up to a limit determined by state law – though most would be covered by your health insurance. The other driver’s insurance should even cover you for a rental while the claim is processed. Even if you don’t have the police come out, the witness accounts would prove invaluable in this situation. The police may cite you for not having insurance, but as long as your reinstate your police in a timely manner and your driving history is relatively clean, I doubt you will run into any serious issue with the DMV and your license.

  28. I was in a car accident and my car insurance lapsed longer than the grace period. I was at fault and settled with the other driver. I believe my car is totalled or close to it. I would like to sell it. What are the steps to selling a damaged car?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Reed,

      It’s unfortunate that you were involved an accident outside of your coverage period. Insurance is one of those things you don’t need until you do. First things first, did you make two copies of a signed agreement not to file a claim between you and the other party? Insureds involved in an accident typically have between 2-3 years to file a claim depending on state law. You don’t want a surprise claim to pop up later down the road. As for selling your vehicle, there are several online platforms you can use to do so- eBay, Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. You should take detailed pictures and be honest with the buyers, expect to receive offers a lot lower than the car was worth before the accident. If all else fails, contact your local Copart location and they will auction the car. Copart specializes in salvage auctions and buyers that bid there are specifically looking for discounted, salvage vehicles.

  29. I got in a wreak and didnt have insurance on one of my cars. I didnt envolve the police and gave him my other cars insurance card and we went from there. I now have a debt in collections for his damages and the collection agency now wants 500 down and 250 a month or they were gonna send it to the dmv to suspened my license. i didnt have the money for it to they said the submitted it. Now i have the money to pay for it and they told me to go to the dmv and tell them im making payments on it so they dont suspended my liecens. .. my question is dont you think the dmv would take my liecens anyways if i go in there and tell them i didnt have insurance at the time but i now do and am making payments on it ?

    • Same situation. Probably same company. What they told you doesn’t make a lot of sense. I would try to deal directly with the DMV. If they have’t sent you anything, then I would call the collection agencies bluff.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Matt,

      As long as you show the DMV an active / current insurance policy on all your vehicles, they will likely not suspend your license if they haven’t already. If they have suspended it, then there should be a process to reinstate it, where you show them the active insurance and pay any penalties. Have you checked your license status? Driving with a suspended license could get your vehicle impounded and you could be arrested. If I were you I would check with the insurance company that assigned the debt to the collections agency and first verify that it’s a valid, outstanding debt. Then if the debt is valid, I would suggest that you speak to a supervisor at the collections agency and make an agreement with them, that so long as you’re paying the debt they should not make any negative reports to the DMV that could affect your license status.

  30. I got hit by a girl trying to beat a light. Nobody got tickets I got hurt pretty bad. She didn’t get hurt. Both cars totally done. I don’t drive much so my insurance lapez .So what happen now? I have no car I’m hurt. But who pays for cars help please thanks. Again police were very nice no tickets to either of us. Sue me you get nothing im living off Ssi God bless everyone like this cop said accidents happen. Nebraska

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Maggie,

      Sorry to hear about your accident. After a serious accident, you should seek medical attention within a reasonable time-frame as untreated injuries can lead to chronic pains. The other driver would get her medical bills and vehicle repaired through her own policy. You could file a claim with her insurance as well and they would cover the cost to repair your vehicle and part of your medical costs (usually limited by state law to a certain percent), if they accepted liability. Meaning that her insurer would have to find her at fault for the accident. Your best proof is an official copy of the police report stating that the other driver was at-fault. Was your car financed / leased or outright owned? If you were financing / leasing your car, you should check with the creditor for any GAP coverage which may apply depending on your circumstances.

  31. My husband crashed on the highway 4 vehicles were involved including my husbands he had no insurance because we didn’t have the money at the time he was on probation from court he was not supposed to be driving and a suspended license what is most likely to happen when he goes to court im worried that he might get arrested any advice?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good afternoon Eva,

      What happens next will mostly depend on who is found at-fault for the accident. Regardless, since your husband was driving on probation, with a suspended license, and without insurance, I would say that it’s likely he will face jail time and penalties, especially if he is found at-fault and there were injuries resulting from the accident. His license will likely be revoked and it will be difficult and very expensive for him to drive again, even with an attorney’s help. Even if he is not found at fault, it’s likely he will still face jail time. If he’s not at fault, then a claim may be filed against the insurance of the at-fault party to at least repair the vehicle he was driving. If none of the involved parties had insurance as you say, then everyone is on their own with regards to vehicle repairs and medical costs. Although the involved parties may retain their own attorneys and sue whomever they deem responsible.

  32. I wrecked my 2 year old Kia Soul and I really don’t know what to do. I still have 4 more years left on it but I didn’t have full coverage at the time of the accident. However I only have liability. I know that doesn’t cover anything but I still would like to know if there’s anything I can do in order to fix it because I think my car is totaled. I hit a curve though so it was just my car that got damaged.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Adrian,

      This is the reason most lien-holders require full coverage on a vehicle while it’s being financed and I’m surprised they hadn’t noticed in your case. Now, moving onto what you can do- if you signed up for the GAP insurance option when you purchased or leased (sometimes GAP is built into the lease contract) the vehicle, then it may covered the entire amount owed on your car even if your insurer does not, depending on the circumstances of why you did not have coverage. I have seen it happen once before, but you would have to discuss the particulars with whoever manages your GAP coverage, if you have it. Another option you have is to check for any recalls on the vehicle, determine if any of these recalls had a direct effect in causing you to lose control of your vehicle, and discuss your options with an attorney. As for the payments on the car, you’d have to decide whether maintaining your credit score is worth paying for a car that you cannot use.

  33. I was in an accident and I thought I had insurance, but my wife and I are in the middle of a separation and she told the insurance company I was not supposed to be driving the truck because I stole it from her. The title and registration are in both of our names and she told me she had put me on the policy, which turned out to be a lie. I don’t know what to do or expect. Thoughts?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Josh,

      This is certainly a complicated situation. Were you living with your wife at the time of the accident? It’s possible that you are covered as an “Insured Resident Relative” if her policy coverage is set up that way and you are not specifically listed as an excluded driver. Since she told her insurer she didn’t give you permission to drive the vehicle, the damages would not be covered under “Permissive Use”. The insurer will likely ask your wife for a police report filed prior to the accident proving that she had reported it stolen and it will help your case if she can’t provide it. You should discuss the separation with the insurer so they understand what her intentions may be. If the insurer does deny coverage, then you may be out of luck for your vehicle repairs and injuries and the other vehice(s) would proceed through their own policies; then their insurer(s) may or may not sue you to recoup any amounts paid out. However, if the other party was at-fault for the accident, you should be able to proceed through their insurance for coverage.

  34. OK a guy hit me head on its his fault but I didn’t have insurance on my truck but he have full coverage

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Andrea,

      Sorry to hear that this happened to you. If it is determined that this was other driver’s fault, your damages can be covered through their insurance policy, under the liability coverage. If the police was called to the scene and you can get a copy of the police report, it could serve as proof that the other driver was at fault. Otherwise you would have to rely on the honesty of the other driver when he gives his statement to his insurer. If there is no police report and the other driver denies it was his fault, then his insurer may not cover your damages. If you have not been contacted by his insurer, you should reach out to them and see if a claim has been filed and if not, file it yourself. Once you file it, you should take down the claim number and adjuster’s information. If you are not contacted by an adjuster within 72 hours (typical turnaround for first contact on a claim), you should reach out to the adjuster or to the insurer again and find out what’s going on. Since you were uninsured at the time of the accident, the police could have cited you and impounded your vehicle.

  35. I got in accident and hit the other car on side door and didn’t have insurance.Their found me at fault and toll me damages I don’t have all money can make arrangements or payment plans or do they have to take me to court?

    • Did you go to court?? And war happened to after everything

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Laura,

      An insurer will probably not arrange payment plans with you directly, depending on the extend of the damage they will decide whether to sue or not and at that point expect the payment in full from you. However, you may have the option to go to arbitration at the court, their attorney and the court may work out a settlement or payment plan with you. If at any point you stop making payments, the attorney would likely solicit a default judgement against you and then your assets could be seized or your wages garnished. You could discuss with the insurer to determine your available options or wait to see what happens.

  36. Shena whitehorse

    My son in law was making a left turn on a flashing yellow light he said lady ran red light but she said he didn’t yield the right of way but she gave him her insurance company’s name.no tickets were given no court date no measurements taken.my question is my daughter was hurt and the police won’t leave until the glove compartment was prided open to get insurance paper.so my kids are feeling they are owed the estaiment price for there car but ,it’s his mom’s car and there was no insurance.we live in mo and he has had his licence suspended before and has 2 no insurance tickets already.so when the lady’s insurance company finds out ,what will happen?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Shena,

      Unless the police reports determines the other party was at-fault, there’s not much you can do for your son-in-law’s vehicle damage. Left turns must yield to oncoming traffic and whether the light was red or not for the other driver is contested. The other party’s insurance will cover the damages to her car and they may sue your son-in-law or his mother to collect for the repair costs, the other driver may also sue for medical injury costs. Your son-in-law will be penalized again for driving without insurance, his license will likely be suspended, and possibly revoked based on the past events you’ve described. It will also be very difficult and / or expensive for your son-in-law to find any insurer willing to insure him again while these events remain on his record. He will likely have to go through non-admitted carriers or through a state provided alternative for high-risk drivers, if applicable. An attorney may be able to provide more specific details on what to do next.

  37. natasha glasper

    i was in a car accident with no insurance but the person that cause the accident have insurance what is the next step

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Natasha,

      Were the police called to the scene? The police should always be called to the scene to write up an accident report when it’s the other driver’s fault, as it will help you avoid a “your word against theirs” situation. If the police was called, then you should go by the police department that responded to the accident and pick up a copy of the official police report. On the report you’ll have all of the other driver’s contact information, vehicle information, and insurance information, if any. With that report in hand you can reach out to their insurance company and file a claim under their liability coverage. Your claim would be processed up to their liability limit and you would not be responsible for a deductible. If you do not have a police report but do have their insurance information, you can still file a claim. However, if they are dishonest and give their insurer a conflicting statement. Then the insurer may only pay for 50% of your damages or deny the claim altogether. There is typically a time-frame of 2-3 years (depending on your state statutes) for filing a claim.

  38. What will happen when you do not have a license and make an accident of someone else?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Nitin,

      That depends on what happens next. If the accident is reported to the police then they will give you a citation, may arrest you, and will impound your vehicle. You are responsible for the cost of towing, daily storage, and any other penalties to recover your vehicle from impound. If you don’t recover your vehicle within a set period of time, usually 30 days, then a lien may be filed against your vehicle and it will be sold at auction to recoup costs. Your state may also have laws that prohibit abandoning your vehicle at a tow yard and you may be assessed additional penalties. If you or the other driver have insurance, they will likely still process the claims for the accident and then proceed to cancel your coverage. On the other hand if you make an arrangement with the other party you may avoid the aforementioned difficulties, but it is usually state law to report all accidents to insurers.

  39. Backing out of our driveway, hit a car driving by. We were both going slow, but damage to both vehicles. My insurance had lapsed so no coverage at the time of the accident. In CA. Wondering if the other driver’s collision portion of her policy will cover her? Uninsured Motorist coverage is not mandatory in CA. Our only hope is that she’ll be a decent human and not sue us if her insurance has coverage that will repair her vehicle. if she is out out- of-pocket any money, we are happy to reimburse her so she doesn’t spend a cent…however, I am concerned that her insurance will report me to the DMV and I will get my car impounded for at least 30 days (at what cost??) and my license suspended…and my husband has no driver’s license so we’d be screwed getting to/from work…does anyone know what we might expect to happen next??

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Kat,

      Most people don’t expect this situation to arise until it does. The other driver’s collision coverage will cover her if she has it. She may sue you for medical injuries and the insurer may also sue you for the repair damages if they are substantial enough to warrant hiring an attorney. It’s important to discuss any reimbursement agreement with the other party quickly if you decide to go that route. It’s possible that her insurer will report you to the state. If you receive a letter from the DMV stating that your license is going to be suspended. You should be able to sign up for an active / current insurance policy, go by the DMV office with the proof, and have your license reinstated after paying any applicable penalties. Whether you’re able to reinstate or not will also depend on your driving history. You can expect high insurance rates for “no-prior insurance” and this accident on your record. If there are other modes of transport at a reasonable cost (Uber / Lyft) you might consider them for the time being.

  40. I have liability insurance, my car was parked, guy hit my car but he didn’t have insurance! He promised to pay for it! Signed a paper saying he would pay for everything! The damage was $2600.55 to fix! I know he can’t afford it so I had him sign his title over to me cuz it’s only like $700 to fix his! I live in PA! He says, I need to find away to get away with this so I don’t lose! What about me losing out, I was just watching TV and heard a smash! I go out to this….UGH!!!
    If I would have called cops, what all problems would he have? No insurance, dui, liscense suspended, car impounded, fines, court cost…… anything else?

    • ALWAYS file a police report, and NEVER believe what the other driver tells you!

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good morning Karrie,

      The signed agreement should be considered a binding contract between you and the other party in a court of law. Now, you have to think about whether it would be worth it or not. Hiring a lawyer to go through the legal process could be costly for you and if his situation is as you say, it may be difficult or impossible to collect any money from him. If you would have called the police, it would have served as concrete proof of the events of the accident and yes he would have been cited and penalized for all the applicable infractions.Unfortunately your best bet would be to repair your vehicle out of pocket or proceed through your own collision coverage if you have it.

  41. My Father-in-law was rear-ended (not his fault) and seems that the person who hit him had cancelled his insurance. According to his insurance company they say they aren’t doing anything since he cancelled his policy. What course of action does my FIL have? Do we need to lawyer up and sue the driver? Any advice would help. It seems at least he is responsible for car replacement and bills. Possible lawsuit?

    • The at fault, uninsured driver is responsible, but depending on how long ago this happened, and no police report you may be outta luck.

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Brian,

      Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. You could try to sue the other driver for the damages. In this case, my suggestion to you would for your father-in-law to proceed through his own insurance policy. Reason being- there will likely be a deductible from $500-$2500 that your FIL would be responsible for, however that would be about as much or possibly less than a lawyer would charge to prepare a case for you without guarantee of recovery (this is likely the reason the insurer is not willing to pursue it either). You could discuss with a lawyer about sending the party a letter of representation, stating that you’ve retained an attorney and are seeking to sue for damages, and in the same letter provide him with an option to settle the damages. Perhaps this would scare them into taking action.

      Good luck.

  42. My daughter 7 and I were passengers in car accident, when ex driving didn’t have insurance. I thought he did. He says insurance was being paid every month and insurance company says it lapsed in February months ago. So I don’t believe him! We were hurt. It was the other cars fault. Who is gonna be responsible for our injuries?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Rainy,

      If you can prove that the other party is at fault, then their liability coverage should cover your vehicle damage and injuries. That being said, the best way to prove that the other party is at fault is to have the police come out to the accident scene and write a report. The report will provide information for each driver and vehicle involved, each driver’s recount of what happened, the police officer’s notes, who received a citation if anyone, and why they received that citation. The report is necessary to avoid a he-said, she-said situation between you and the other party. It’s very important that you ask the other party for their ID and insurance cards, make sure they’re current, and take pictures of them. In my experience I’ve seen people provide the police with false information (wrong address, or a digit off on the insurance policy) and then they disappear, making it hard to track them or their insurance coverage down for the claim. If the other driver is not insured either, then you’d all be out of luck unfortunately. Although your injuries could be covered by your health insurance if you have that.

  43. My insurance was cancelled last month. I got into a minor accident today, which I don’t even consider an accident. I hit the car behind me very lightly as I was reversing at a gas station parking lot. There’s no damage to his front bumper, just a few scratches. I gave him my driver’s license number. His insurance called to obtain more information, but they seem to have the wrong license plate number. What are your suggestions?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Sammy,

      If the police wasn’t called to the scene then it would be your word against theirs. Keep in mind that he provided his insurer with all of your information- license number, full name, address, etc. and that both his car and your car will have damages in corresponding areas to show for it. Furthermore, gas stations almost always have CCTV recording the premises and if they do, then it’s likely the accident was captured on video. Speaking from experience, in a situation like this if you outright refuse to speak to his insurer, they may process his claim through his own policy without recourse. You could be sued for the vehicle repairs and medical bills, but I would say it’s unlikely.

  44. Who’s the sole person to pay any fines or debts with an accident that has happened in my vehicle when another person wrecked the car involving another car?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello James,

      In a multi-car accident insurers will typically shift all liability onto the party responsible for the accident. The problem with this is that the responsible party will have limits of coverage on their policy. Multiple claims against one policy will tend to hit that limit quickly, depending on the limit of course. Meaning, that these claims are handled on a first-come first-serve basis. Therefore it’s very important to act quickly in these situations by calling the responsible party’s insurance company right away (or your own if you don’t have the other party’s info) and have an adjuster assigned to your file right away. Then you should work to arrange an inspection of your vehicle as soon as possible. If the limit has been hit before your damages were addressed, then you would have to proceed through your own insurance policy for coverage, which usually carries a deductible that you are responsible for. Occasionally, more than one party will be considered at fault for an accident and the insurers will try to split liability 50% / 50% across several policy or any other split deemed appropriate.

  45. I myself am insured with liability but the car I was driving today is not because it’s not my vehicle however I got into a small Fender bender and would like to know what can happen to me legally such as getting license suspended or anything of that sort

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Ryann,

      If you were given permission to drive the vehicle by its owner, the claim would likely be processed through the policyholder’s insurance through “Permissive Use”. Keep in mind that in this case the claim would appear on the policyholder’s record and would cause their future rates to go up. If the vehicle itself was uninsured, meaning that the owner did not have insurance, then your own insurance would possibly cover the other party’s damages, but not your own. I wouldn’t worry about anything happening to your license for what sounds like a minor accident. You could possibly have a few points assessed if you were cited and do not contest the ticket. As a side note, it’s best to get an estimate from a shop before filing a claim with insurance because the repair cost may fall under the policy deductible, in which case any claim would be denied as “under-deductible” and the claim would still appear on your report. Claims on your report could cause your rates to increase, sometimes substantially.

  46. I was in a accident without insurance but got liability insurance that day.what’s my worries..but was given the failure to yield ticket….

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Dwyane,

      Since you were cited, you will more than likely be found “at-fault” for the accident. Your liability insurance is split into parts, a “Property Damage” limit and a “Bodily Injury”. The property damage coverage will cover damage to the other person(s)’ vehicle and any other property up to the limit specified on your policy. The bodily injury will cover the other person(s)’ medical costs directly resulting from the accident. Your own property damage and injuries would be covered by collision coverage and personal injury protection respectively. You will probably receive a letter in the mail stating that you will be responsible for any amount paid above the coverage limits to settle the claims. Keep in mind that insurers are typically required to send this letter for any accident, regardless whether it was minor or major. An at fault accident will stay on your driver report for 3-5 years depending on your state and will cause your insurance rates to go up during that time period as insurers will consider you high-risk.

  47. I have a car accident and my car insurance was cancelled,I was driving without insurance I not even know,because ,the car insurance was taken every month the payment from my bank account,when I had the acccident I tried to claim and then the car insurance agent said “your car insurance was cancelled already”I was fighting them,but I was feeling very frustrated,and I just give it up;now I have to go to the court because the hospital bills???? What can I do????

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Benita,

      I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I suggest you go to your bank and request copies of your statements showing the insurance payments drafted from your account. Then with the statements in hand, visit your agent’s office to call the insurance company together and discuss the situation. If you agent is not cooperating, then call your insurance company directly and discuss it with them, offer to send them copies of the statements showing the drafted payments by fax or e-mail. If your insurance company has a local office near you, you might consider paying them a visit with your statements if you prefer to do that instead. If you did make the required payments and your policy should have been active at the time of the accident, then the insurance company should have considered your claim; not doing so in this situation is considered “bad faith” on the part of the insurer and they can be sued / penalized for it. With regards to the hospital bill, I would suggest calling the hospital’s billing department, explaining the situation, and asking them for a discount on the total balance or at least a payment plan. In my experience I have seen 30-40% (or more) reductions on medical bills depending on their situation and the willingness of the medical facility to negotiate. Don’t give up, there is always a way forward.

  48. I got into an accident while driving reverse and one of the Apartment complex because there was no way to make a turn and this lady was backing out from her parking spot hit my car later I found out that she don’t have insurance she don’t have driving license and she is a illegal alien without any legal documentation, Because she start crying I disregard the police call and took all the cost on myself because I could not report it to aunt Sharon’s company

    • Always file a police report Sami. The other driver should have not been behind the wheel. She may kill someone next time.

  49. Getting sued for 9.6 k for a car accident I guess i was at fault no one was injured I have no driver license or insurance and by time i got notice I already move out of state California to Minnesota I’m only 22 what should i be expecting and I don’t have no 9.6 k

    • What do you think should happen, Carlos?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hello Carlos,

      This is certainly a difficult situation. I am not licensed to practice law, cannot, and will not provide legal advice, however I can advise on what may happen based on my experience. Moving from one state to another makes it more difficult for an attorney to collect, but not impossible. There are methods to establish jurisdiction over you in the new state or continue through the trial in your original state, where if you do not show up to court when requested to do so, the court may enter a default judgement against you. A default judgement will also hurt your credit score. With default judgement in hand, the attorney can use the execution and garnishment procedures of either state to seize your property or wages. The state of Minnesota does place additional restrictions on wage garnishment. In this situation your best bet would probably be to seek legal counsel on what actions you should take. Avoiding or ignoring the situation is probably not the best idea.

  50. I was in a accident but my coverage didn’t start till the next day. I am being sued but all they said was they will contact motor vehicle to have my license suspended… and they will continue to contact me. Can my license be suspended if I have insurance currently?

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Hi Bree,

      Your license may be suspended as a result of both driving and getting into an accident without insurance. However, there is typically a process to get it reinstated through the DMV by providing proof of current insurance and paying a penalty. Whether or not you have this option depends on other factors, such as your driving history and number of points on your license. If the DMV does reinstate your license, you will likely have to obtain an SR-22 Proof of Financial Responsibility certificate and required to carry an expensive SR-22 policy on top of your regular one since the insurance companies will consider you high-risk. If you have a lawyer for the suit, perhaps they may have more details for you on this matter as well.

      Best of luck to you!

  51. I got hit when i was driving my wife car. The driver run off but i chased him and took picture of the car and the plate number. I’m not on her insurance policy . I got the police report and claimed it to the insurance company . will the insurance company will cover it since the got the police report??

    • Armando@4AutoInsuranceQuote

      Good evening Amadou,

      If you live with your wife, it’s possible that you are covered as an “Insured Resident Relative” if her policy is set up that way. If her policy is set up to cover “Named Insured Only”, then you could still possibly be covered under “Permissive Use” of her vehicle, meaning that she had given you permission to use the vehicle when the accident occurred. The policy will not cover you however, if you are specifically listed as an excluded driver. Even if you are not covered by your wife’s policy, you may seek coverage through the responsible party’s insurance if you can get a hold of the information. You can review your policy documents to see if any of the coverage options I’ve listed apply to you. An adjuster would be able to go into greater detail on the coverage with you once a claim has been filed.

      You took the correct steps reporting the incident to the police. With the plate number, the police can find out who the vehicle belongs to and will typically pay the person a visit to discuss the incident. The police will usually have an official report ready within 2 weeks. You should contact the police department that you reported the incident to and ask if the report is ready. Then I recommend that you go by the station and pick up a copy for free or ask for it to be mailed to you for a charge. Depending which state you live in, you might also be able to purchase a copy online. On the report you will have the other driver’s information. From here you can do two things, you can open a claim with your own insurance company or you can try contacting the other driver yourself, get their insurance information, and file a claim with their insurance company. If you file with your own insurance, they will determine whether or not to cover you and will try to find out the other driver’s insurance to “subrogate” them, which means to bill them for the damages they are paying out to you. Even if you have coverage, then there still might be a deductible that would apply. On the other hand, if you can get the other driver’s insurance information, then you can file a claim through their insurance, the claim would likely be covered and no deductible would apply.

  52. I’m astounded, and irritated, after reading all the comments of ppl who either have no insurance or let their insurance lapse, and then end up in an accident, freaked out! How do you ppl get your vehicle’s license plates and car registrations renewed each year? It’s irresponsible, and premiums go up on drivers, like ME who pay for insurance! This is just wrong!

    • I feel the same! I’ve been involved in 2 accidents that I had NO fault in and both times my insurance had to pay and nothing was done to the uninsured driver! They both gave insurance cards to the police officers but when contacted we found out they had lapsed and they didn’t even receive a ticket. Now I’m on my 3rd go around with my daughter whom was hit yesterday by someone who ran a stop sign only to find out she gave a false policy number and isn’t covered by insurance. It’s the most frustrating thing ever! Meanwhile, my rates go up every renewal so I can pay for all of the uninsured motorist! Reading on this thread all the comments and excuses by the uninsured drivers is really hard to have any sympathy. If you don’t have insurance DONT drive.

  53. Basic insurance is cheap! And will cover at least part if not all the cost. Insurance companies aren’t gonna pay for it as a goodwill gesture…HAH! Nope, they’ll get it from the insured motorist. The rising percentage of uninsured motorists is staggering. The alternative for uninsured drivers from a serious accident; huge fines, lawsuits, and probable jail time, medical costs! Worth it??

  54. Shaneta R Parker

    I got rear ended sitting at a red light the guy was uninsured said he fell asleep @ the wheel and plowed into the back of me. I had 4 children in my back seat all in which who are totally shocked and afraid i only have liability insurance is this the end for my car it would initially be labeled as totaled out.

  55. I was parking and accidentally hit the another car in the next parking space. Very minor, only got the corner of the bumper and my car has no damage. The car belonged to the guy who works the store security and saw it happen and I gave him my name number and plate number. He said nothing about involving the police but now I received a voicemail from an officer requesting my insurance policy # which I don’t have because my insurance expired. What do I do? What will happen if I don’t call back with a policy number or call back saying my insurance expired?

  56. I got into a accident i hit a parked car and got scared and left the scene now my car is underinvestigation i have insurance but it expired few months back but what can i do?

  57. Elena M Britt

    Yesterday my husband was on his way home from work and a lady did a stop and go and her car hit my husband car and totally lost his car it was damage not drivable. He had no insurance but she did and it was her fault from what the police report she cause the accident. So does her insurance company pays for the damages for the car or do we get a new one or just get a check in the mail

  58. Jason stallone

    I was recently in a accident. I got T-Boned and will most likely be found at fault. The car was insured but I wasn’t on my mom policy. Will I have my license suspended ? Even if they agree to pay for it ?

    • So this almost exact scenario happened to me two days ago. I also was driving an insured car but was not covered under my moms insurance , the other driver didn’t take my name or my info. Since I don’t have any money to my name or any assets, how would they expect payment on my part for damages.

  59. Jennifer Dickinson

    I was hit on the driver side door and he scraped back to the bumper…i don’t have insurance but he told the police that he backed into me. Will I still be able to file a claim with their insurance company to get my car fixed?

  60. Detria A Lewis

    I got in a car accident. I was stooped at a stoo sign a 18 wheeler was blocking my veiw I thought it was clear well when I went I clipped a ladys car near truck. I had no insurance. She had full coverage. An it looks like I might get sued. But I have nothing of value but my van that is for my disabled son.

  61. I was parked in a metered space in Arlington, VA, and inside at work. Security cam and alerted me there was a police officer who asked to speak with me. He had received a call about an auto accident, and upon arriving at my building said that a woman had reported my cars license plate was touching her car, which was in front of me. The woman who reported the “accident” (who was not present) said that I had “hit her car” and that when she came out of the building, my car was touching hers. This is extremely improbable, as I had to go to a meter in *front* of my car, get a ticket, then return and place it on the dash. I drive a Cadillac and am very observant, especially about hitting stationary objects….I would have HAD to notice if I hit her car. In any case, I never saw the contact, the officer said she had moved her car, but there was a “slight mark” approx. where he figured my license plate *might* be. I find this very unconvincing, seeing as how I took pictures of both her car (which had been moved, so we never saw contact) and my license plate….close enough that you could clearly see that the screws did not have a fleck of paint on them, but were dirty…so you know I didn’t wipe them off. I also took pictures of her car, and I failed to see any damage, save for some normal wear…no scratches, no dents, nothing I could discern as anything. He provided me the report and asked that I speak to her by calling her. I did, but she was incredibly rude and frankly I think trying to scam me. She went on and on about how “her car was brand new” (it isn’t. It’s a 2016 Honda) and that I hit her and left my car on top of hers…then she started talking about “dings” at which point I started to get heated as I have pictures showing no such thing on her bumper. In any case, she didn’t ask for any of my information and we left it at that. I was glad, as I discovered my insurance policy had lapsed several months before.

    I thought, since I had pushed back on the mere suggestion that there was anything wrong with her bumper and that I was certain I had not hit her, that she figured I would be a tough mark to clean out and had given up on whatever fantasy she had of getting a free paint job. Now, almost a month later, she has started calling my cell and office phone, wanting insurance information. I asked her how much money she had gotten an estimate saying the “damage” would be. She told me she hadn’t even gotten an estimate. I told her that I wouldn’t even consider discussing the issue further without knowing exactly what she is scamming for and hung up. I would like advice on what I should do (ie. what I should tell her) on any further communication, as I do not want this person harassing me further. I am convinced she is some kind of con artist and have proof there were no marks on either car. I did not witness any touching between her car and mine, and neither did anyone else…I asked security at my building if they could get me a copy of the tape from our cameras, but they said that the cameras were zoomed in on a crosswalk and did not record that part of the street. Can I just tell her to stop calling me? Am I obligated in any way to pretend this is legit? I am unsure of my rights, but I am absolutely certain this woman is crazy. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

  62. Hello,

    Last week i was sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green, Before i knew it i had been rear ended and my car had major damages to the back side. the lady who hit me didn’t have proof of insurance and the officer on the scene gave her a citation for no proof of insurance. They took a police report down stating she was at fault. they did ask me some questions but didn’t acknowledge me much. Unfortunately i also didn’t have insurance on my car at the time of the vehicle. The lady up front had promised to pay out of pocket to getting my car fixed. Very first few days after the accident a lot was getting done. She stayed in contact with me and promised to pay she even had a body shop come out and take a look at my car to give her a quote. Everything slowed down drastically after he gave her a quote. she started being very short with her replys and even started to ignore my text messages. She can no longer give me a time frame or a direct answer as to if she will be taking responsibility for the damages. Please help me what can i do in this case??

  63. I got into a wreck had no insurance payed the fine and my liscense got suspended then I got them reinstated thought I was fine. I get a letter saying their revoking my liscense not even two weeks later cause I owe a debt collector for the damages on the other persons vehicle I’ve tried to make a payment plan but they want 500 down I can’t afford it I make 300 a week my liscense are revoked now and I have to pay someone just to take me to work how am I suppose to pay anything if I can’t even get back and forth to work cause I have no liscense

  64. Hello I was in an accident i rear ended a Honda Civic damages less then $500 I have no insurance she is demanding $1000 or will lawyer up I am a single mother also pregnant my income isn’t great I offered to pay her $200 every 2 weeks till $1000 paid off since she refuses to take her car to where it fits my budget what can happen if she takes me to court

  65. I just got a used car nothing fancy ..I let my daughter drive it and she hit another car. No one was hurt she dented his passenger door a little. I believe he has insurance. Will I still be responsible or the driver or both. I have a headache ! My car has no damage.

  66. Maximino Quintero

    I was involved in a crash. i t-boned the other car. he did not make a legal stop he was supposed to stop, i had a clear path. i had no insurance for the last 10 days. the guy admitted he was at fault. What’s gonna happen?

  67. I was in a car accident and my car is messed up but I can still drive it, Also it was not my fault. Do you have to get it fixed or can you just take the money.

  68. I was in an accident about 2 weeks ago that was my fault and I am uninsured. Both vehicles were totaled or considered totaled mine at the scene. I presented proof of insurance to the officer at the scene but the insurance was not active. since then I have been contacted by the other party’s insurance company the insurance company whom I presented at the scene of the accident and by lawyer for the other party. I live in a no-fault state Minnesota and have absolutely no other moving violations on my driving record I did not have to go to court and was ordered to pay a fine. I haven’t spoken to either insurance company or the lawyer that called me and I’m wondering what I need to do next to resolve this issue who should I contact? Do I need to get myself a lawyer or is there a way that I can take care of paying for the damages without having to pay for a lawyer for myself? I can’t find any good resources online for parties who are the ones at fault driving with no insurance there’s not a lot of information that I found I would like to take care of the problem though.

  69. My boyfriend got into an accident with no insurance last night. A truck flew passed him and cut off two vehicles including his vehicle. The truck slammed their breaks and the company truck didn’t break. So, my boyfriend thought it’s okay to keep going and all of the sudden breaks were slammed. He hit the company’s van in the bumper while he tried to slammed his brakes but couldn’t stop instantly because he drives a 2000 Chevrolet impala. He smashed in his front hood in. The company truck seems like it had 4000 worth of damages with no injuries, thank goodness. I have no idea who is at fault but he believes it’s his. Police were at the scene. They cited him no mandatory insurance and failure to control speed. The driver in the center stopped and didn’t hit the truck ahead of him. My boyfriend could not see what’s ahead because it was blocking what’s ahead. What should he do? It’s messing with me. I can’t sleep. Response will be greatly appreciated.

  70. Our pastor called and left a voice message on his insurance answering machine asking that his truck insurance be reinstated because he needed to use the truck for moving. He, of course, got in a wreck that day and now the insurance won’t pay.
    Will he have to take full financial responsibility?

  71. I was in a fender bender I didn’t know but a couple weeks ago they cancelled my insurance I wouldn’t of drove had I known I’m a single mom I don’t want to end up in jail what can I do ? And shes already made a claim with her insurance so I cant just talk to her so what do I do ?

  72. I recently purchased a car not even a month ago and had been hit by an older lady that was deemed her fault. With me just purchasing the vehicle I did not get around to adding the vehicle to my insurance.. I do have insurance just not on that vehicle.. how does that work?

  73. I have a quick question. my daughter was driving my car which I have insurance but she did not. She was hit from behind and taken to hospital because she is pregnant. She did miss 3 days work. The insurance company of the driver that hit her said they would pay for lost wages but not her medical bills because she was an uninsured driver. She does not live with me. They said that if she was the passenger her medical bills would be paid but since she was the driver it would be considered limited tort and not full tort and that my insurance would be responsible for her medical bills. We live in Pennsylvania. Is that correct?

  74. I have car insurance but I was driving a friends vehicle that did not know his insurance had lapsed.We were involved in an accident (no fault) and I have an arm fracture. what can I do?

  75. I had gotten pulled over for a suspended license and I had no idea it was suspended cuz of a no insurance accident a year prior….well I took care of my fines and fees and now the BMV is saying I have to show proof that I had insurance at the time I was pulled over at the time I was pulled over for the suspended driving
    …..I didn’t have insurance, y does it matter of i paid my fines??? And would an insurance company back up to the date this year that I need to cover even though it has passed?

  76. I got into a car accident and didn’t have insurance. I live in PA, no-fault state. I was able to get out of the license suspension by talking with the cop before the court date. But I was cited with running a red light. I took a trip to the hospital and now have medical bills as a result. My medical insurance is putting up a bit of a stink because they want auto to cover it, but I didn’t have auto insurance at the time (now I do and will never be without it again). They said I have to send in a PIP, but according to my research you can only file a PIP under your car insurance, which I didn’t have. I’m not sure exactly how to proceed.

    I was also told that if I was living with family at the time, they are required by law to file a claim on my behalf, even if I’m not on their insurance. But my family is being difficult and their insurance company said they can’t file a claim unless the person is on their insurance.

    I’m just not really sure how to proceed or who to talk with to get answers to my questions. I’ve talked with a couple people about the family and insurance thing but keep getting different answers. Any help with this is appreciated.

  77. My son was in a car accident, he hit someone from behind, he was sited, we have insurance on several vechiles and my son is on that policy with me however the car that was in the accident was not listed (a complete mistake) we are in the state of ohio so it is not a no fault state what should I do. I called the other insurance company and they stated they were working with the insured and their car was lose (5k) they told me that there was nothing i needed to do. My insurance company told me there is nothing they can do and will not cover us please advise

  78. Recent accident, person at fault had all paperwork in order my vehicle was insured, but did not have my paper work in my car. I had my wife take a picture and to send at the location WIill I be insured still or will it be invalid?


Your feedback