How to Cancel The General Auto Insurance in 5 Steps
To cancel The General auto insurance, you will need to send in a written request. Although you can call The General auto insurance customer service to talk about canceling your policy, you still must submit your information in writing, and you may be charged a 10 percent cancelation fee. Before you cancel you The General car insurance policy, make sure you have a new policy in place.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Aug 20, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- You can cancel The General auto insurance at any time, but you will probably be charged a 10 percent cancelation fee
- You must cancel your car insurance policy in writing
- Make sure you have other auto insurance in place before you cancel your policy with The General
There are many reasons why you may need to know how to cancel The General auto insurance, such as switching car insurance companies or selling your vehicle.
No matter the reason for canceling, The General allows you to cancel your policy at any time. However, you may be hit with a steep penalty for canceling your policy before the term runs out.
Most states require some sort of car insurance, and drivers want to get the best coverage at the cheapest price. Luckily, drivers can get instant auto insurance quotes easily to make sure they are getting the best price.
If you are looking for a new auto insurance company before you cancel The General, enter your ZIP code now to compare quotes.
How do you cancel The General auto insurance?
The General makes it a little difficult to cancel your car insurance policy.
Most companies will allow you to cancel your policy over the phone, but if you try to call The General auto insurance company, you will be told you have to submit your cancelation request in writing.
The address you will need to submit your request to is:
The General Headquarters
2636 Elm Hill Pike, Suite 510
Nashville, TN 37214
Here is the information that must be included in your written cancelation request:
- Name, address, phone number
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Social security number
- Policy number
- Date of cancellation
You can always call The General auto insurance phone number at (888)333-2331 to get more information about canceling your policy.
You can also learn more about the company by reading our The General auto insurance review.
What should you consider before canceling your auto insurance with The General?
There are several factors to consider before canceling The General car insurance.
First, you may be charged a 10 percent cancelation fee. This will be calculated from any unpaid months left in your policy. If you paid your entire term upfront, you should receive at least a partial refund.
Second, auto insurance is mandatory in most states. If you cancel your car insurance before you have another policy in place and drive, you will be breaking the law. Some states also mandate turning in license plates once auto insurance is cancelled.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, 13 percent of drivers in 2015 were uninsured. Uninsured drivers are subject to fines, having their driver’s license suspended, and possible jail time. Not to mention they are legally liable for any damages caused in a car accident.
To avoid any legal issues, make sure you have a new policy in place before you cancel your old one.
What are the steps to take to cancel The General auto insurance?
There are certain steps to take when you cancel your car insurance to make things go smoothly.
Here is a list of steps to take:
- Look at when your policy renews. If you only have a few months left, it might be better to wait it out and avoid the cancelation fee.
- Shop around for a better deal. Especially if you are unhappy with The General car insurance rates, spend some time comparing quotes to find the cheapest coverage.
- Determine what is important to you in a car insurance company. Do you want fabulous customer service and are willing to pay a little more to get it? Or do you want the cheapest rate you can find?
- Pick a new auto insurance company and get your policy started. Once you decided who you want to go with, get the ball rolling. Pick a date for your coverage to start, and get your policy set up.
- Cancel your old policy. Send in your cancelation request to The General. It’s best to let your coverage overlap for a day or two just to make sure you don’t have a gap in coverage. Also, make sure you followup after your send in your letter to ensure your coverage ends when you want it to and you get any refund you are due.
Following these steps will help you have an easy transition from one car insurance company to another.
Knowing the steps to take when canceling your auto insurance will save you time and headaches.
Compare over 200 auto insurance companies at once!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
When is the best time to switch auto insurance companies?
Although you can cancel your car insurance with The General at any time, doing so in the middle of your policy may lead to extra fees you don’t want to pay.
If you are able, waiting until your policy expires is the easiest way to avoid fees and hassles.
Also, it’s a good idea to shop around for auto insurance if you have major changes in your life. For example, if you get married, your car insurance rates may go down. You may also be able to get lower rates if you move to a safer part of town or improve your credit score.
There’s never a bad time to shop for cheaper car insurance. Compare quotes to get the cheapest rate for the best coverage.
Enter your ZIP code to compare auto insurance rates before you cancel your policy with The General.