Rachel Bodine graduated from college with a BA in English. She has since worked as a Feature Writer in the insurance industry and gained a deep knowledge of state and countrywide insurance laws and rates. Her research and writing focus on helping readers understand their insurance coverage and how to find savings. Her expert advice on insurance has been featured on sites like PhotoEnforced, All...

Full Bio →

Written by

Leslie Kasperowicz holds a BA in Social Sciences from the University of Winnipeg. She spent several years as a Farmers Insurance CSR, gaining a solid understanding of insurance products including home, life, auto, and commercial and working directly with insurance customers to understand their needs. She has since used that knowledge in her more than ten years as a writer, largely in the insurance...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Leslie Kasperowicz
Former Farmers Insurance CSR

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one auto insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.

When two or more people share the risk of an insurance policy, it’s called coinsurance.

In some situations, the policyholder (you) and the insurance company agree to share the risk involved in a policy. Both parties assume a portion of the risk.

Coinsurance is more common in the health insurance world. The insured individual will agree to pay a portion of the claim, while the health insurance company will agree to cover the remainder of the claim. You might pay 20%, and your health insurance company pays 80%.

In the car insurance world, coinsurance policies are less common. With coinsurance car insurance policies, the policyholder would pay the deductible first, and then the insurer would pay out a percentage of the costs to cover the damages, while the insured party pays the rest.

Let’s say you get into an accident. Your vehicle requires $10,000 in car repairs. You pay your $1,000 deductible, and then you split the cost 50/50. You pay 50% of the remaining repair costs, while your insurance company pays the other 50%. You pay $4,500 (plus your deductible), while your insurer pays the other $4,500.

The coinsurance percentages covered by each party are defined in the insurance contract.

How Does Coinsurance Work?

Let’s say you have a $100,000 high-end SUV. You approach an insurance company to set up a coinsurance policy.

Under your coinsurance policy, your insurance company agrees to cover 80% of the value of the truck, while you agree to cover the remaining 20%.

If your truck is stolen and not recovered by the police, then the insurance company is required to pay compensation for your vehicle. You pay your $1,000 deductible, and then you split the remaining amount ($99,000) 80/20. You pay $19,800, while your insurer pays $79,200.

You would also split the cost of any damages you inflict on other people and property. If you hit another person and cause that person to incur $50,000 of medical bills, for example, then you and your insurance company would split this liability based on the coinsurance terms in your policy.

Compare over 200 auto insurance companies at once!

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

There Are Different Types of Coinsurance

In the United States, coinsurance policies are less common for car insurance and more common for health insurance.

Under a coinsurance health care policy, the insured individual will pay a share of the payment made against the claim. You might have an 80/20 coinsurance health care policy, for example, where you pay $20,000 for a $100,000 surgery and your health insurance company covers the remaining $80,000.

Outside of the United States, coinsurance is used in a different context. Typically, coinsurance refers to the idea that two or more insurance companies are sharing the risk of an insurance contract. Two insurance companies might agree to split the risk of a large liability, for example, to prevent that liability from severely impacting either company.